20" or 12.5" 6.5 grendel for deer

longridge3407

Established Member
Oct 26, 2021
Jasper
A 12.5" Grendel should do well with a quality barrel and adequate ammunition. I load Nosler 129 gr ABLR for a 12" Grendel. Muzzle velocity is 2240. At 300 yards, that bullet is still moving over 1800 fps, well above the ABLR minimum opening velocity. Accuracy in my 12" gun is great, but it takes work shooing a short AR well at range.

I've killed several whitetails with the 12" gun, and wouldn't hesitate to shoot at normal hunting ranges with it. Performance is fine if you hold up your end of the equation.

Last edited:

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
I have a 12.5 I use for my "stand" gun, this has been a nice set-up for my intended use of less than 150 yards. It has also been a pleasant surprise on a couple of coyotes behind the house. I have not had a chance on a pig, yet.

closing

Keep most Sales within Alabama and on this Forum.
Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
I have a 12.5 I use for my "stand" gun, this has been a nice set-up for my intended use of less than 150 yards. It has also been a pleasant surprise on a couple of coyotes behind the house. I have not had a chance on a pig, yet.
we have a lot of coyotes right now how does compare to 5.56 recoil and acracy wise? I imagine my 10.5in barrel in 5.56 is good for 75 yards, I've never shot past 100 yards at game TBH. rather inexperienced

longridge3407

Established Member
Oct 26, 2021
Jasper
I've taken the 12" Grendel out to 440 on steel. All of my whitetail kills were less than 150 yards, though i wouldn't hesitate to shoot twice that far if conditions were right. Recoil is not a big deal at all, I'd consider it kid friendly. Hearing protection is a must, the muzzle blast / concussion is fairly stout with shorter barrels.

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
The report is fairly loud, but I don't pay attention when I'm hunting anyway, I'm too busy trying to stay in my scope or when shotgunning down on the barrel. I do use foam and muffed hearing protection combined when practicing. I haven't tried to take my grendel out past 200, that is all I could really do before the season came in this year. I will play with it more after deer season, before turkey, and more this summer. Recoil is not bad at all, I like my "little gun, it just does what it is supposed to do. I didn't think I would ever "own" an AR, but this is much more fun to shoot than my 300 win. mag when I am practicing/playing.