40S&W becoming obsolete?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I don't buy weapons on what is in or obsolete. I buy weapons to cover a wide spectrum of calibers so to have defense weapons that are ready and able giving current market conditions in ammo supplies.
Do not put all your eggs in one basket!
Diversify!
That's one strategy to have and a good one at that; the other would be to buy cheap and stack deep on common stuff during the good times. Might be too late for that one though....

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Thinking back to the bad, old days immediately following Sandy Hook, when just about all ammo dried-up for a while…you could still find pockets of .40 here and there. At that time, I was carrying either a SIG P229 or a P226, both in .40 (with a .357 barrel for the 229 - as @bronicabill mentioned, I, too, remember scooping-up the last few boxes of .357 SIG at the local Academy, those being the last of that ammo I saw for sale for a very long time).

.40 kept me shooting at least some during those days.

Dkaisnell

Established Member
Jun 12, 2022
Northport
I got out of and stayed out of the 40 game for a long time. Until I came across a sweet deal on a duty used Sig P229 in 40. I am fairly certain that platform was designed around the 40 S&W cartridge. I loved shooting it so much I started picking up other 40s to add to my collection. I agree with the diversifying comment above.

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
.40 was obsolete from the moment of introduction since it was literally designed as 10mm but for women and small statured men, neutering the entire point of 10mm in the process. The only practical reason I can ever see to own a .40 is the same reason why I hope to get one eventually- because even though it is a round that should have never existed in the first place, it’s still commonly issued and found everywhere and I like having the ability to shoot common calibers, even if they aren’t my preference.

Garandzen

Established Member
Nov 22, 2021
Clarke co
Rifles or pistols, more recoil is generally equated more horsepower down range. I know the graph may say something else but I have trouble believing everything I read. Shoot some animals and you will see a difference.

lowsky

Established Member
Apr 20, 2022
Tuscaloosa, AL
Do you think 40S&W is becoming obsolete with all the ballistic advancements in 9mm?
I think that .40 S&W has been obsolete for a little while now. I just never saw the allure of having a .40 - either I want the power of a 10mm or the capacity and recoil of a 9mm. I can appreciate some of the cheap surplus .40s, however.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’ve recently acquired a SIG P229, an older (1994) unit “born-in” .357 SIG. Sale included a .40 barrel. It’s been fun getting reacquainted with both rounds; I used to do a lot of shooting / carrying of assorted SIGs.

Tired old man

Established Member
Jul 2, 2022
Near Birmingham
I am a fan of the .40. It is Very easy to load for. I have noticed several new shooters found they too found .40 minor easier to shoot than 9mm.

Back when .40 was being dumped as departments transitioned to 9mm, .40 ammo and brass were cheap. I did the right thing.

I grew up with .45’s and still prefer slow push recoil pulse to a fast snap.

Ezam75

Established Member
Aug 29, 2018
Folsom
I love how every one counts the 40 S&W or .357 sig round out against the the 9mm.
The 9 has come along way and has its Benifits but let’s get it straight! Just like the .556 a .308 has the stopping power and is unequal
look at some of the 40 rounds that are now available.
1300 FPS AND 582ftlbs !!! That’s a 155g round. If you need to fire two or three rounds a a target stick with you 9’s ! Maybe they will go down
But If you need to put the target down in one shot pull out a 40s&w. Just
My opinion. Let’s face it 95% of the public are buying off the counter rounds and shoot less than 6 times a year!!! They won’t hit the side of a barn in the first 3 to 4 shoots !
Yea you need to shoot to carry a 40
But then again if your not shooting 2-3 times a month your only fooling your self.

Last edited:

Garandzen

Established Member
Nov 22, 2021
Clarke co
Here is a weird one but I like to think it true, if you can easily handle your brass off the ground after firing during the summer , “9”mm, you may not have enough powder behind whatever your shooting

9mm

Established Member
Jul 23, 2016
Mobile
I love me some used sig’s in .40, lots of dangerous animals have been killed in the past 30 years with .40, I trust it to carry on for many years to come.

Bunny Humper Thumper

Established Member
Mar 26, 2020
Wilsonville, Alabama
I presently own a .40 S&W, and about to order a New Smithfield Armory 1911-A1 in .45 cal. & Clarks .460 Rowland conversion kit (to .44 Mag). Not wanting to enter this Pissing Contest per say, it seems your other members know far more then I do. I look at it like this...most home invasions and/or Store encounters, take place at a Max Distance of 10'-20'. I want the MAXIMUM KNOCKDOWN/KILL ability possible with my Hand Cannon!

I watched a couple guys testing the most Idiotic Statement by a sitting POTUS, since the last time a DumbassCrap was in Ovary Orifice! Y'all know what's coming...YEP!...it's the "9mm Blowing a Lung Out of the Body", this guy needs to go back to sniffing Tricycle Seats on the Playground...but I digress. So these 2 fellers had a .22mag, a 9mm, a .40S&W, a .45acp, a 12ga w/Buckshot & finally...a 12ga with a Slug. The cold-clear Winner was the 12ga. with Slug...they were shooting a Silicone Anatomically Correct, complete with Bones, Organs & major Arteries, human Torso. The Slug went thru like an Earth Mover...the 9mm was so Pussified, even the Crew was Laughing...no shit, it looked like a .22mag on steroids. Sorry to say, but the .40S&W didn't look much better, but it took a bigger chunk of Lung with it! Now...among the Hand Guns...the 44 Mag not only blew away the Compitetion, but also a fist size chunk of Lung

Bunny Humper Thumper

Established Member
Mar 26, 2020
Wilsonville, Alabama
(...Sorry)

"Now...among the Hand Guns...the 44 Mag not only blew away the Compitetion, but also a fist size chunk of Lung..." (cont...)
...BUT, there is NOTHING that will top a 12ga. with Slug! Their last shot was a surprise, it was a 50cal with a Custom Load-Explosive Tip Round...my friends...that SOB Blew Out a Lung...and a Heart...and the Liver/Kidneys...I about laughed myself silly! Of course the Gub'Mint pulled the Video, but have a buddy who knows these guys...when he sends, I will Post!