40th birthday was pretty good

Jpope

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Childersburg, AL
As I've gotten a little older I've decided that revolvers are actually works of art and don't completely suck. I always thought they were old man fudd guns, outdated, and generally weren't for me. When I was about 35 I grabbed an old surplus model 10. Little did I know it would change my life. I liked it so much that I found a model 64 (the stainless version of a model 10). I bought a few Super Blackhawks and Redhawks after that. The Rugers are ok but they just didn't do it for me. Over the years I decided that I wanted to start collecting revolvers. Word of advice, it isn't a task for the banking account challenged. I used to think the crown jewel of my collection was a bnib Dan Wesson from 1975. Then I turned 40. My wife totally surprised me with a nickel plated Colt Trooper MK III for my birthday. Made in 1978. I've since upped my Colt collection with an unfired 1968 nickel plated detective special and a Colt SAA that's beat to hell and can't find any info on. I'm still a S&W and DW fan at heart but dang if these old Colts aren't finding a way into my heart. Wrong cylinder release and all.

Attachments

• PXL_20220213_020254870.jpg
    PXL_20220213_020254870.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
Jpope
Yes, I am like you, it was a Model 10 that I used to First Ever Slap Down 6 steel plates with, “In a Row”!!
I was shooting SA at 10 yards, I was Pumped!!
That’s when I starting Loving a Revolver!
Still, a Good ‘Double Stack’ Pistol is hard to ignore that Double capacity Fire Power!

bobbyakins

Established Member
Jan 5, 2022
Odenville,Al
As I've gotten a little older I've decided that revolvers are actually works of art and don't completely suck. I always thought they were old man fudd guns, outdated, and generally weren't for me. When I was about 35 I grabbed an old surplus model 10. Little did I know it would change my life. I liked it so much that I found a model 64 (the stainless version of a model 10). I bought a few Super Blackhawks and Redhawks after that. The Rugers are ok but they just didn't do it for me. Over the years I decided that I wanted to start collecting revolvers. Word of advice, it isn't a task for the banking account challenged. I used to think the crown jewel of my collection was a bnib Dan Wesson from 1975. Then I turned 40. My wife totally surprised me with a nickel plated Colt Trooper MK III for my birthday. Made in 1978. I've since upped my Colt collection with an unfired 1968 nickel plated detective special and a Colt SAA that's beat to hell and can't find any info on. I'm still a S&W and DW fan at heart but dang if these old Colts aren't finding a way into my heart. Wrong cylinder release and all.
Happy birthday brother.I'll get turnin 62 in April and momma says I have all I need.This of course is a TOTAL wrong idea.I told her that I'd trade or sell one to get another.I have a rounded collection but my goal is to match a rifle with a pistol calibers.Revolvers are pretty cool when you consider they hardly ever fail to shoot. Enjoy them brother,they are fun

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
Happy Belated. My friend has a Dirty Harry S&W with the 6” barrel etc. I think it’s the only revolver I’ve handled and thought it would be nice to keep and shoot consistently. I’ve had two (revolvers). One (S&W) is sold and the other is my kids plinker. They always look cool. I just haven’t hit the revolver phase yet I guess. While I’m at it, I still haven’t gotten into the lever gun phase either. I always end up being Capt. Practical and going semi auto on most.
Take care guys.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
Wait a minute. Did you say your WIFE bought you a gun? What type of wizardry did you employ? Teach me how to but that spell on mine please
I tought my wife (girlfriend at the time) how to shoot my about 10 years ago. She fell in love (with shooting haha ) and has completely surprised me twice on Father's Day with a firearm. First was a new Glock 29 (10mm) and then a 1972 Romanian GP 10/63 underfolder AK in excellent condition.
She's a keeper!

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
Yeah well she spent my money on it but still.
Hahaha! that's awesome.
I had a buddy talking to me about buying a 1911 from him that he built and my wife made a comment about not ever getting "a ring" and was against it. I told her she needed to see it because it was really nice and she says "whatever". My buddy showed it to her and she says "I'll trade you my husband Ruger p95 for it" and he said "deal".
I was like aaaaaaahhh what just happened...?
She's says "don't worry about it, we just made a deal. Give him the Ruger"
I didn't know if I should be happy because she made her first gun deal or be pissed that I lost my gun by her doing it. ‍♂️

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Yeah well she spent my money on it but still.
Hahaha! that's awesome.
I had a buddy talking to me about buying a 1911 from him that he built and my wife made a comment about not ever getting "a ring" and was against it. I told her she needed to see it because it was really nice and she says "whatever". My buddy showed it to her and she says "I'll trade you my husband Ruger p95 for it" and he said "deal".
I was like aaaaaaahhh what just happened...?
She's says "don't worry about it, we just made a deal. Give him the Ruger"
I didn't know if I should be happy because she made her first gun deal or be pissed that I lost my gun by her doing it. ‍♂️
23 years and I'm still buying on the dl. I've been telling my wife for years that I always sell one to fund another. One day she's standing with me in front of the safe and says "if you're trading, how did your safe get so full?" All I could do was shrug my shoulders and chuckle.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
23 years and I'm still buying on the dl. I've been telling my wife for years that I always sell one to fund another. One day she's standing with me in front of the safe and says "if you're trading, how did your safe get so full?" All I could do was shrug my shoulders and chuckle.
Hahaha sounds like a Mike I know in GA.

Jpope

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Childersburg, AL
You're doing it wrong. You said THE safe. See what had happened was....In 23 years you've had plenty of time to pump the numbers up which means multiple safes. Do like me. Have lots of good stuff spread across multiple areas. "Oh look, a new one?" Nope. Had it for years if she asks. She won't ask. If you have hundreds then she probably doesn't know all of them. Now as far as teaching your teenage sons to leave them in the truck until mom isn't home and only bringing them in when dad gives the go ahead??????? I can't help you there. Honestly I've never lied to my wife about any gun. I've never put my family into any kind of situation where they would do without. I've definitely not put as much into my 401k from time to time to buy stuff and don't necessarily need but I want. All the bills ALWAYS get paid and everybody is happy. She's not stupid. She knows collections don't just happen but she's doesn't bitch and the boys keep they're dang mouths shut.

JTD

Established Member
Mar 19, 2016
Gadsden
My first wheel gun was a 1971 Smith and Wesson model 66. Dad paid $150 for it in 1972 to use in his law enforcement job. Eventually passed it down to me, and I plan on doing the same one day with my son. Had several revolvers since, but there’s just something special about your first.