75gr Speer Gold Dot for Deer/Hogs/Coyote?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
So I've been considering using my 18 inch AR to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes and am looking into ammo selection. From what I can see the consensus for .223 is that the Barnes TSX 70gr is the best bullet but I can't find factory loads with it for sale anywhere and I don't think Barnes (or anybody else) makes factory loads with that bullet anymore. In my search I stumbled on the 75gr Speer Gold Dots, and while they're made with duty/home defense in mind, are bonded soft points designed for maximum expansion. I don't really see any downside to using these for hunting except for the slim possibility that they might not penetrate as well as you'd like for a hunting round, but any shots I'll be making will be within 100 yards and the deer here aren't too big for .223 if you use the right round. Anybody have any thoughts or experience using these for hunting?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
So to follow up on this point I watched a video last night where a guy was able to get 17" of penetration in ballistic gel at 100 yards with a 16" barrel so I don't think I have anything to worry about there but I'd still like to gather some thoughts on the subject.

longridge3407

Established Member
Oct 26, 2021
Jasper
I think you'll be fine if your guns shoots them decently. Length of the bullet and twist rate of the barrel will come into play on accuracy.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Thanks. Will be using an 18 inch barrel with a 1:7 twist so I should be slinging them plenty accurate enough for my needs.

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
So I've been considering using my 18 inch AR to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes and am looking into ammo selection. From what I can see the consensus for .223 is that the Barnes TSX 70gr is the best bullet but I can't find factory loads with it for sale anywhere and I don't think Barnes (or anybody else) makes factory loads with that bullet anymore. In my search I stumbled on the 75gr Speer Gold Dots, and while they're made with duty/home defense in mind, are bonded soft points designed for maximum expansion. I don't really see any downside to using these for hunting except for the slim possibility that they might not penetrate as well as you'd like for a hunting round, but any shots I'll be making will be within 100 yards and the deer here aren't too big for .223 if you use the right round. Anybody have any thoughts or experience using these for hunting?
Just an FYI reply Dfalt. I have taken several deer using .223, Hornady 55 gr SP bullets in a SP1 Colt, 1-12 twist, 20" barrel. So, I don't believe you will have a problem with a 75 gr.

BTW it has been a year, how did you do hunting?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Just an FYI reply Dfalt. I have taken several deer using .223, Hornady 55 gr SP bullets in a SP1 Colt, 1-12 twist, 20" barrel. So, I don't believe you will have a problem with a 75 gr.

BTW it has been a year, how did you do hunting?
Thanks man! Had a pretty good season last year (2 bucks and 1 doe) but this year hasn't been so great. I've only been able to go once so far; saw a small doe and decided not to take her. Turned out to be the right call because the 4x4 on my truck decided that while I was leaving was the time to go out and got me stranded. Truck's been in the shop since December so I haven't been able to go since.

Any better luck on your end?

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Thanks man! Had a pretty good season last year (2 bucks and 1 doe) but this year hasn't been so great. I've only been able to go once so far; saw a small doe and decided not to take her. Turned out to be the right call because the 4x4 on my truck decided that while I was leaving was the time to go out and got me stranded. Truck's been in the shop since December so I haven't been able to go since.

Any better luck on your end?
I haven't been in several years. I am on dialysis at home and have a peritoneal catheter in my abdomen. I can't pick up over 40 lbs, so if I took one I would have to call someone to load it for me. LOL I may try to go on my brother's property. He would be close by if needed.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I haven't been in several years. I am on dialysis at home and have a peritoneal catheter in my abdomen. I can't pick up over 40 lbs, so if I took one I would have to call someone to load it for me. LOL I may try to go on my brother's property. He would be close by if needed.
Well that's a shame, sorry to hear that

Bypass

Back in Black
Staff member
Army
Sep 12, 2018
Owens Cross Roads Alabama
Prayers for you.

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Prayers for you.
Thanks, Bypass. Prayers are appreciated very much. I am doing well on dialysis. Just a pain being hooked up to the machine 9 hours, mostly at night. Not being able to pick up over 40 lbs is the only real setback. I have always been, if it needs to be moved, I move it. LOL