A Range / Practice Routine

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Offered as a sort-of follow-up to the dry-fire thread…

As ammo availability continues to make a comeback, I’ve found myself still wanting to squeeze maximum value out of every round expended at the range but also practice multiple steps / skills along the way.

One thing I’ve done for a while now is to download magazines. This helps me practice magazine changes along with the obvious practice of putting shots accurately downrange.

I’ve tried various approaches to this: loading 3 or 4 magazines with anywhere from 1-3 or so rounds each, scrambling them up on the shooting bench without looking at them, then adding them to magazine pouches and gun and going from there. If you have a buddy with you to load your magazines, that would certainly help and add to the “surprise” factor of when you will run dry - and maybe they’ll even toss in a dummy round or snap-cap to keep you on your toes? haha…

The range I belong to allows shooters to draw from holsters while on the line (there are conditions for allowing that). Lately I’ve been loading a gun with a magazine containing two rounds and loading my magazine pouch with a mag containing 3. I will draw, fire the 2, reload, and fire the 3 as a “failure drill” (2 to the body and 1 to the head, or a “Mozambique Drill”). In one iteration of that five-shot string, I’m able to practice the draw, engaging the target, reloading, and re-engaging.

It will definitely “stretch” a 50-round box of ammo a bit.

The variations on this are limitless. I’d enjoy hearing if y’all are doing anything similar and / or better.

Stay safe!

1641308559234.jpeg

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
Some friends and I used to run the Q course regularly. It is a great test for proficiency with a pistol.

I second the downloaded mags drills. They work great especially if you do not know how many rounds each mag has beforehand.

The dummy round is also a great tool for working on clearing failures. That is something everyone should practice regularly. Once again, especially effective when you have no idea if and when it is in the rotation.

Sadly, the days are gone for now when I could enjoy going and running several hundred rounds at a time through a pistol or two. However, the ammo shortage has gotten me to be more particular and defined in my training, which in and of itself has been a good thing. (Gotta look for that silver lining I suppose)

Edited to say: Nice pistol!

wav3rhythm

Established Member
Sep 10, 2021
Huntsville
I highly recommend the Ben Stoeger books for range drills. Skills and Drills is specifically geared towards that, but I also used his dry fire book when I trained a lot.

It includes par times and it helps confirm that the Dry Fire is being done correctly.