A Range Rarity (Rare for me, anyway…)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Recently I was at the range practicing 2- and 3-shot strings from low-ready with a beefy little S&W 27-2 (okay, it’s “beefy” but perhaps not so “little.”) The distance to target was 7 yards.

I’d run a fresh target down the line, as I was transitioning from the .38 Special loads I most often shoot to some .357 Magnums, in this case some peppy 158-grain JSPs. I came up from low-ready and let loose two rounds, striking the dreaded bowling pin target amidships, the two hits spaced not far from each other. I then came back up and fired two more…and apparently missed the target altogether. With BOTH shots!

Perplexed, I put the gun on the mat and ran the target in to check it more closely. I was quite surprised to discover that I’d scored hits with the second salvo after all - hits that were in almost the exact same spots as the first two! Figure-eights!

This is a very rare thing for me, and I thusly recorded the event for posterity, with pictures attached haha…

Granted, the remainder of the range session went just fine but I did NOT replicate quite that level of consistency…the gentle reader will note that I am not posting any other target pics from that day hahaha…

Shown below is the target at-distance and then up-close, along with a separate image of the gun it all happened with.

1644161112158.jpeg

1644161131837.jpeg

1644161166666.jpeg