Any PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) Fans?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Some love ‘em, some hate ‘em, and some just couldn’t care less, I know (true of many items, right?) :)

I was always intrigued for some reason by the Colt-branded 9mm ARs (they had / have a specific Colt model number that I don’t recall at the moment) - they always seemed to priced a bit higher than I could go at the time if they were even available at all.

Eventually, I came across the PSA version of same. I was able to grab a few magazines (branded “A.S.C.” and billed as compatible with the 9mm Colt mags) - I’ve gotta say, this thing is FUN to shoot, and quite accurate.

(Note the super-high-quality magazine numbering straight from the 4CERTN Custom Shop - LOL! ) Sling is a simple Blackhawk two-point deal. Light mount is a well-outdated unit from Viking Tactics, holding a Surefire LED light.

I’ve also thought the AR-ish PCCs that are fed by Glock magazines seemed like a great idea, but have yet to shoot one.

1642914083001.jpeg

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
is there a diminishing returns when going a 16in barrel for 9mm,10mm,.40 cal?

I’d be interested in seeing feedback on this question, too.

I’ve never chronographed my 9mm AR (or, frankly, any other gun, for that matter haha). I did once buy some 135-grain 9mm “carbine only” ammo from Wilson Combat, some of their proprietary ammo. Supposedly it is formulated for premium results out of a carbine-length barrel. Presumably it could be safely fired out of a handgun but, I’ll admit, I’ve never tried.

The PCC has lent itself to more regular range-time for me as the indoor range I frequent allows them on the handgun lanes; shooting a rifle or shotgun is relegated to dedicated long-gun lanes.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham

I had a CZ Scorpion for a while, but sold it and bought a Ruger PCC. The Scorpion "looks" much cooler...but the Ruger is more accurate and fun to shoot.

172298741.07XO3mxA.jpg

170358050.GKkv2Y5n.jpg

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
PCC’s, Yes, I Love them!! In 1966 I had an Uncle that bought a Ruger 44 magnum Deer Stalker. He never shot a deer with it but spoke highly of it’s power. It interested me in that you could also carry a revolver in the same caliber. Since then,
I’ve owned 3 PCC’s all in 9mm . I liked them but the 9mm aspect made me think of them more ——of a handgun!!
I owned a 16”,8” & 10” Barrel PCC. I enjoyed them but I sold/traded all 3 and looking very serious at buying one in .45acp
Still a handgun caliber, but one I can use for HD or even hunting. I grew up watching TV & movies with the famous
Thompson sub machine guns firing away!!
Well, it was shooting a .45acp with 16” Barrel, in most cases.
The question earlier asked about the advantage of having a longer barrel on a PCC to get more energy from the longer barrel. This is true, it will let the cartridge Give you more energy, but there becomes a trade off on some of the cartridges that may be fired through too long of a barrel.

A gunsmith told me years ago the worst thing you can do with some firearms, of any kind , is to use too long of a barrel because you have that projectile/bullet
Getting resistance, every inch, as it is being forced/Fired out the End of the Barrel! Makes sense to me
Now,,,,it didn’t then!
Thanks, FT

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
PCC fan. Have a 10mm that shares mags w/my G29/G20.
Yes, eventually, with a long enough barrel you will hit the point of diminishing returns, but it isn't much of a concern in a carbine platform for most pistol loads.
Some examples in 10mm. This will vary based on the actual load.
1642973743991.png

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
Yep, with the 10MM , not that much difference, some would say it does !
I’am sure if you go to standard Pressure cartridges it might make more of a difference, but, I can use the extended sight radius that a longer Barrel, gives w/o a scope.
There’s an old saying that goes something like this, “use your handgun- till you can grab your rifle!!” ,,,,, part Of the thinking there is ,,you have a greater range & power with a longer barrel,,,(usually a Hotter cartridge, too):)!
FT

dorr36

Jun 28, 2021
Dothan, AL
I got into PCC's about 7 years ago, starting with a CZ Scorpion Carbine (still one of my favorites). I also have a Sig Sauer MPX Copperhead, Sig MPX PCC, FoxTrot Mikes in both a pistol version 7" barrel and a rifle version with 16" barrel, and a Grand Power Stribog (have not shot this one yet) All 9mm.

They are all fun to shot. The CZ and SIG MPX PCC are my favorites and I also use them to shoot Steel Challenge matches.

bobbyakins

Established Member
Jan 5, 2022
Odenville,Al
my uncle has the newer ruger carbine in 9mm he really likes it I do too

I think the 10mm and 40 cal would fair pretty well with a 16" barrel.The 10mm being very close to the 41 rem mag would be handy for deer or pigs.The 40 considered a fat 357 would be good for short range(100yds)

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Yes, but i like the less expensive ones. The Hi Point (the ugliest one of them all) is also probably the least expensive but very reliable and accurate. The Keltec is interesting in that it folds in half. It is also very accurate, not sure about reliablity. It is also light due to being mostly polymer, also why i am not sure about reliablity. I realize most people are not interested in either of these, but i like them.