Anyone in CWD management zone?

Quickbeam

Established Member
Sep 26, 2021
Madison
I just saw the first detection of CWD in Alabama in the NW part of the State. Unlimited harvest the remainder of the season. I may see if I can do my part on one the WMA there. Or if anyone would allow me on private land I'd appreciate it. I hunt suppressed and practice plenty for clean kills.

The news release indicates it's going to be a little more complicated. Only deboned meat can leave the zone and heads must be submitted.

coachwill

Established Member
Apr 8, 2021
Vestavia Hills
It was inevitable since CWD was first detected in NE Mississippi and SW Tennessee a few years ago. I have read that some biologists believe it is a byproduct of year round feeding happening. Not something that I advocate and honestly I hope that our wildlife department gets a handle on quickly instead of just waiting on something to happen.

I remember when WI had an open, no limit season for two or three easons in some regions to completely wipe out the deer population and it stopped it from continuing in those areas.

Quickbeam

Established Member
Sep 26, 2021
Madison
The most plausible origin theory I’ve heard is that it made a species jump from scrapie ( a similar sheep disease). It seems our officials are splitting the difference between complete deer depopulation and simply monitoring. I’ve seen nothing in their news release that will halt its spread. That’s not a criticism; no other state has managed to eradicate it either.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
It's a prion disease, and from my understanding of what exactly prions are; they're a nasty spike protein that can infect the very ground and you don't really ever get rid of it for good

Tumbleweed

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Alabama
It’s been beat into the ground on the Alabama hunting forums. Chuck Sykes is going to to turn bama deer hunting on its head. Baiting is STILL ILLEGAL and a contributing factor here. That fee is just a sin tax. Really bad news IMO.

Last edited:

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
It’s been beat into the ground on the Alabama hunting forums. Chuck Sykes is going to to turn bama deer hunting on its head. Baiting is STILL ILLEGAL and a contributing factor here. That fee is just a sin tax. Really bad news IMO.
Baiting is legal as of 2020 with an additional permit for deer and hogs only. Also not sure exactly how it's a contributing factor to CWD; enlighten me on that one please. My only guess is that corn produced in CWD-contaminated ground might cause it to spread but I'm not 100% sure.

Quickbeam

Established Member
Sep 26, 2021
Madison
I don’t think anyone would disagree with the sentiment that CWD entering Alabama is bad news. A depop or deer reduction, I believe, has been standard practice for attempting to slow the spread. If people don’t heed the regulation to not bring carcasses back across out of the Zone it will backfire though.
I’m with you on feeding. The fact that it is not addressed in the emergency regulations stinks of political interference. .

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Join Bamahuntin.com and ask for Eddie. He will show you.
Thanks for the forum suggestion, definitely going to be checking it out. I did some more research on the topic and from what I've seen the concern with feeding is more to do with the fact that it draws deer into a smaller area where they're more likely to spread the disease to each other. Therefore it seems to me the best thing to do would be to educate people so they know to spread their bait out over a wider area rather than putting it in a pile or using a feeder with a small spreader with weak throw.