Are fake suppressors actually for training or are they a way for creative people to skirt restrictions?

_86

Established Member
Apr 28, 2023
Madison
I recently ran across fake/trainng suppressors. Are these made with the intention for people to machine them out? Or are they legitimately training aids?

Last edited:

Wesleykey

Director of Product Enhancement
Nov 7, 2023
Alabama
Since you have reworded your question, I’ll need to reconsider my answer. Can you send a link to the item you are asking about?

Thor

Established Member
Sep 6, 2023
Blue Ridge, AL
Cosmetic only. There’s nothing you can do to make it functional. The ones you linked are just slip on barrel shrouds that that mount with set screws and look somewhat like a supressor.

Real training suppressors, such as the surefires, don’t have a thick enough tube wall to handle anything above pistol calibers, and even then I’d only stick with 22 for longevity purposes.

There’s also nothing to “machine out” as they are just hollow tubes with a ported end cap. A hollow tube threaded onto a barrel with an unported endcap would actually qualify as a single baffle suppressor per the ATF.

Last edited:

Nate762

Established Member
Dec 4, 2021
Muscle Shoals
Fake cans are more of a looks thing I guess. You would generally see them in more restrictive states like California, New York etc etc.

Too many restrictive states to list

Nate762

Established Member
Dec 4, 2021
Muscle Shoals
I recently ran across fake/trainng suppressors. Are these made with the intention for people to machine them out? Or are they legitimately training aids?
What you're thinking of is solvent traps. Those are what you would purchase and possibly machine the caps and file form 1 to use as a can. They were sold to catch cleaning fluid. The ATF has recently, or shall I say about 3 yrs ago, began attacking companies selling solvent traps. Diversified Machine was the first big one.

LatterVersion

Established Member
Dec 14, 2021
Huntsville
"Fake suppressors" are just for looks. They are heavy blocks of low grade aluminum that cannot be machined out, and even if you did it would be a poor weak suppressor. Not good for anything but weighing your rifle down and photos.

Solvent traps need to have a second purpose not just 80% suppressor so they call them solvent traps or reverse barrel heat shrouds. You really need to watch what you buy because you cannot build legal form 1 suppressors with foreign made parts. The ATF has raided people who file a form 1 then buy a solvent trap from China. The ATF just shows up with the package. The problem with all of it is the murky intentionally deceptive language and regulations the ATF has in place for enforcement of NFA and ITAR. This is by design so they can prosecute people when its convenient, so that they don't back themselves into a corner and set a precedent that gets the NFA overturned.

My advice is to just buy a suppressor from silencer shop or Capital Armory and file a eform 4. It takes a while, but shooting suppressed is worth every penny of the the unconstitutional tax they charge. Capital Armory will literally ship the suppressor to your door when your tax stamp is approved.