Building an ar15

Cody Y

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
Chelsea
Hey guy I was needing some feed back. I want to build an ar and was wondering if there are any legal loops to jump through. Like tax stamps, exc. Any feed back much appreciated.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I believe as long as you're talking about a "standard" AR, i.e., with a barrel no shorter than 16 inches overall length, you're good to go; no tax stamp unless you're dealing with full-auto, select-fire, barrel shorter than 16 inches, suppressor, and such.

The lower receiver is considered to be the "firearm" component; thus, you'd typically buy this from an FFL-holder (dealer, individual, etc.) from what I understand (a private-party transaction notwithstanding).

Note those "I believe" and "I understand" caveats. I've never bought AR components separately for a build, only "complete" guns. Someone here may be able to chime-in to clarify / confirm / etc.

Cody Y

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
Chelsea
Thank you for the quick reply. It will be a standard ar, barrel will be at least 16". Most of the parts will be ordered online. I will be buying a stripped lower and so my ? Is will it have to be purchased from an FFL

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I'm actually not sure about a stripped lower, whether that would require an FFL-holder or not.

Have you checked over at AR15.com? Mountains of info there that may help, and / or your closest dealer could likely confirm it, as well.

Good luck on the build either way and hope you post pics out here of the finished project!

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I Googled the topic "is a stripped lower receiver a firearm" and got a lot of hits back with various interpretations. I'd suggest consulting with a dealer about it; of course, if you're going the mail-order route, the supplier you do business with will know and tell you up-front if they are required to ship the lower to an FFL holder as opposed to directly to you.

Still, members here who have built one may yet chime-in on it. I'd like to know definitely, as well; going the "build" route could be fun. I've fancied an AR carbine that would mimic the Vietnam-era XM177 configuration while maintain a 16-inch OAL barrel via a CAR-style long flash hider.

slpeod

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
North AL
FFL will be required for stripped lower purchase unless bought in a private transaction with someone else in the state. No stamps required as long as your barrel is 16".

slpeod

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
North AL
Good info here! When I go for my first ar I will prob buy the whole gun and take that apart and put it back together before building one. They are nice and I will own one in the next year.

If you need any help or tools just let me know.

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
If you are wanting to do a light weight build you can get a 14.5" barrel you'll just have to get your muzzle break/compensator pinned and welded, or it would be considered a SBR, which of course then you would need a tax stamp.