Caliber swap on carry piece?

Rink Rat

Established Member
Jan 12, 2019
AL
What are the rules/laws on switching calibers on your carry piece here in AL? I have a factory .40 sub compact pistol and just bought a complete 9mm slide and barrel set up for it. Is it legal for me to carry the 9mm set up?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I do not think we have any laws regarding the change of caliber. The think I might look at are the slide and the mags used. All need to be 9mm And the slide needs to fix the new 9mm barrel.
Good luck man.
Also handgun laws.us will have more laws related to Alabama.

Rink Rat

Established Member
Jan 12, 2019
AL
Thanks for the link, after reading I think I am good to carry with the swap. Yes everything is 9mm mags, slide and barrel. I wouldn’t even consider carrying a conversion barrel in my .40 slide for reliability reasons.

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
What are the rules/laws on switching calibers on your carry piece here in AL? I have a factory .40 sub compact pistol and just bought a complete 9mm slide and barrel set up for it. Is it legal for me to carry the 9mm set up?
It’s not about the slide. It’s the serial number stamped/machined into the frame. Switch and swap all you want to.

Bolts Rock

Established Member
Nov 21, 2020
Harvest
There is nothing in Alabama carry laws tying a specific gun to your carry permit. I wouldn't carry a highly modified gun for legal reasons but any handgun you own and can conceal is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
No legal requirements for caliber conversions in AL. That being said I would not do it for reliability reasons! (I have a Glock 35 w/ a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. It is very finicky especially with 115 gr loads.)