Checking a gun off-base in Huntsville

Robodoc

Established Member
Dec 19, 2021
Gadsden
Good morning! I have business at Redstone this week and I am a CCP holder--does anyone have a solution for checking a weapon nearby while I conclude my business on base? Hate to travel without my firearm. I also have an EDC pocketknife that I believe is contraband on base.

Robodoc

Established Member
Dec 19, 2021
Gadsden
Well--looks like a co-worker is going on for me this time, but originally it would have been after 12 noon. I'm sure this will come up again though. I travel hundreds of miles daily throughout North and Central Alabama--sometimes in very sketchy areas and prefer to carry (at least in the car.) Obviously this is a site where that would be prohibited.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Hmm ok I don’t know as I’ve never been but I know there has to be some kinda check-in at a gate.

Robodoc

Established Member
Dec 19, 2021
Gadsden
Well, I haven't actually been on in years--but as far as I know, no firearms or ammunition are allowed on base (except for those registered for hunting with permission) and I don't believe there is a place to check such in. I would rather have an off-base solution anyway; just somewhere to dump my pistol and ammo for a couple of hours without actually transferring ownership of it. Also, as stated they don't allow a pocketknife with a blade over 3" I believe.

soalaturkeys

Apr 28, 2021
Mobile
This isn't Huntsville, but a few years ago I was going on base at NAS Pensacola and had a pistol in the vehicle when stopped at the gate. There was a gun shop close by that kept the firearm (plus spare mags) after checking my I.D. They didn't charge me a dime, said it happens all the time, and also said it's best not to try to slip in with one in the car as they will spot check from time to time and if you have a firearm (OR LOADED MAGS) hidden under the seat or something, it could be a wild ride...

coachwill

Established Member
Apr 8, 2021
Vestavia Hills
A few years ago I was going on base to visit a buddy at Hurlburt Field (Air Force) and they have a check in procedure for guns on base or to go to the shooting range on base; with someone who is allowed to go there. Anyway if you are just visiting; they store them at the gate guardhouse and you pickup when you leave.

Thesurfmurf

Established Member
Mar 12, 2022
Priceville
Good morning! I have business at Redstone this week and I am a CCP holder--does anyone have a solution for checking a weapon nearby while I conclude my business on base? Hate to travel without my firearm. I also have an EDC pocketknife that I believe is contraband on base.
I live 20 minutes from base and have a safe if you would like a place to store it while your there. I also work around there every day with in a few minutes most every day. I’m willing to help any way I can. I know you don’t know me but more than happy to face to face meet before to get to know me. I’m a Marine but I’m ok with the Army guys as well! Lol send me a PM and I can give you my contact info if you would like.

Thesurfmurf

Established Member
Mar 12, 2022
Priceville
I know it’s an older post but if you have to business again on post is what I meant

bronicabill

Established Member
May 26, 2019
Madison, AL
Obviously an older post, but would like to relay the following:

I used to work on RSA, both for NASA, then later as a contractor for the US Army. I often met friends at the indoor shooting range in the basement of the security building for some after-work range time. I also frequently took my shotgun and went skeet shooting during lunch break with coworkers. Obviously ammo was also carried, and in all cases the gun and ammo were locked in the trunk and declared to the MPs at the gate.

Now that's been a few years ago, so I have no idea how much has changed, but as has already been suggested... "Call them and ask; it's the only way to be sure!"

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
Well I don't know about a place to check one in when I had to go on the arsenal I would swing by my house and drop it off and then go pick it up.

Hmm seems like there might be a business in that somehow.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
Well I don't know about a place to check one in when I had to go on the arsenal I would swing by my house and drop it off and then go pick it up.

Hmm seems like there might be a business in that somehow.
There is. Up in the northern border states, people who are driving into Canada will stop at a gun shop on this side of the border and drop their gun off for "cleaning" then pick them up when they return to the US.

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
There is. Up in the northern border states, people who are driving into Canada will stop at a gun shop on this side of the border and drop their gun off for "cleaning" then pick them up when they return to the US.
James Reeves of TFBtv recently did a video about this. I don’t recommend his tactics but it worked. He found an old fence and left his pistol there with an AirTag. He came back later that day or the next day and it was still there.

CrazyBoykin

Established Member
Mar 11, 2022
Madison County
Here's a recent article about bringing firearms on Redstone Arsenal in the installation newspaper: https://www.theredstonerocket.com/news/article_24b9171c-5cf7-11ee-ba00-4b7bbf7fd51d.html

To the best of my knowledge, Redstone Arsenal Department of the Army police will not store the firearm for you. Unfortunately, there is not a commercial establishment to store your firearm off post that I know of. I live about 30 minutes from Redstone Arsenal and have a fireproof safe where I can store it for you, if you want. Contact me if you want to go that route.

Firearms used on the post at the outdoor recreation range are limited to shotguns and such, have to be registered with the installation military police well in advance and declared at the gate upon entry.

Do not try and sneak it on post. If they catch you, it will likely be confiscated, you will be detained, issued a citation and have to appear before a magistrate judge. Hefty fine at least.

In regards to one of earlier posts about the firearm being checked in at an Air Force base, that is true, in some cases. In the Air Force, the base installation commander has the discretion to allow this sort of this to happen, but the Army is not as flexible.

I've looked into starting a business for such a need, but the liability, insurance and property costs make it prohibitively expensive.

Good Luck.

discovery

Established Member
Dec 14, 2023
North Central Al
I work on RSA, and there are only a few exceptions for bringing a gun on post: if you are a resident/on post housing and the firearms are registered withe Provost Marshall, Skeet shooting, or, registered game hunting.

Regrettably, there used to be a company on Drake Ave that did offer a handgun storage service for RSA and others (records storage) but the company changed hands, and they longer offer that service.

Great idea from the poster above mentioning the "gun cleaning service".