Concealed Carry lifetime permits for veterans

jonathan.p.watson82

Established Member
Dec 12, 2022
Fairhope, AL
I just learned yesterday any veteran honorably discharged in the state of Alabama gets a free lifetime concealed carry permit and they don’t have to go through the 5 years of having a permit. I believe this was open to retirees but was told at the sheriffs office yesterday this went into effect last Monday for honorably discharged veterans. Just passin that along for anyone who doesn’t know. I was able to get my free lifetime permit in about 5 minutes time.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
We're about to get constitutional carry on Jan 1st FYI but this is neat for out of state travel.

jonathan.p.watson82

Established Member
Dec 12, 2022
Fairhope, AL
We're about to get constitutional carry on Jan 1st FYI but this is neat for out of state travel.
I know, that’s why I got it. I live close to the FL line and travel to all the southeastern states so it benefits me to get it. Plus if it’s free and you qualify it’s a no brainer.

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
I just learned yesterday any veteran honorably discharged in the state of Alabama gets a free lifetime concealed carry permit and they don’t have to go through the 5 years of having a permit. I believe this was open to retirees but was told at the sheriffs office yesterday this went into effect last Monday for honorably discharged veterans. Just passin that along for anyone who doesn’t know. I was able to get my free lifetime permit in about 5 minutes time.
You know if thats for ANY honorably discharged vets living in the state, or only for vets who were discharged from service while living in the State?

jonathan.p.watson82

Established Member
Dec 12, 2022
Fairhope, AL
You know if thats for ANY honorably discharged vets living in the state, or only for vets who were discharged from service while living in the State?
Any honorably discharged veterans. Just have to bring a copy of your dd form 214 with license. As long as you have a current AL drivers license and pass the background check you get a hard copy same day. Takes about 10 minutes.

luggnutt

Established Member
Dec 14, 2022
Central Alabama
Just called the montgomery sheriff office. They told me I needed a military I.D and a dd 214. Do you know if it is in writing for honorably discharged vets somewhere?