Constitutional Carry - Alabama - January 2023

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Alabama is now a "duty to inform" state? I can't find anything authoritative saying one way or the other.

Edit- mixed up terms, it's "inform", not "report"...

Last edited:

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
@Oz82 I’d not even heard of this term - my Google-Fu may be weak on this one, but all I found on that terminology was related to cases of known or observed child-abuse, etc.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Alabama is now a "duty to inform" state? I can't find anything authoritative saying one way or the other.

Edit- mixed up terms, it's "inform", not "report"...
Nothing has been changed afaik.

EDIT: Which means there's no duty to inform. In the rare instance, that I have been detained while concealed carrying, I did let them know that "I have a CC permit (note: not necessarily armed)" as soon as they confirmed that I was being detained. It's not required, but a lawyer I've spoken with said it can help if stuff goes wrong.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I agree w/ @Xero. I’ve (unfortunately) incurred a couple of traffic stops or three over time for speeding. I informed the officer every time right up front, presented both my DL and my carry-permit. The officer thanked me in every instance and, in all but one, gave me just a warning and attributed same to my having let them know I was carrying.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I agree w/ @Xero. I’ve (unfortunately) incurred a couple of traffic stops or three over time for speeding. I informed the officer every time right up front, presented both my DL and my carry-permit. The officer thanked me in every instance and, in all but one, gave me just a warning and attributed same to my having let them know I was carrying.

When I was still making traffic stops and had a driver advise he had a CCW permit and try to present it, I usually replied with either, "That's OK, I don't need to see it...just don't show me your gun, and I won't show you mine. ;)", or "I'd be more concerned if you were travelling through Birmingham and didn't have a gun."

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
When I was still making traffic stops and had a driver advise he had a CCW permit and try to present it, I usually replied with either, "That's OK, I don't need to see it...just don't show me your gun, and I won't show you mine. ;)", or "I'd be more concerned if you were travelling through Birmingham and didn't have a gun."
Lol. The cop I informed about my CCW basically told me the same thing. Literally said, "That's all good. If yours stays wherever it is, mine will do the same." He didn't even bother to ask for it.

bronicabill

Established Member
May 26, 2019
Madison, AL
BTW, does anybody know why the new law doesn't go into effect until next year? Unless I'm mistaken, when both TN and GA enacted Constitutional Carry laws, they went into effect almost immediately after being signed by the governor (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this)! Why the lengthy delay in Alabama???

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
BTW, does anybody know why the new law doesn't go into effect until next year? Unless I'm mistaken, when both TN and GA enacted Constitutional Carry laws, they went into effect almost immediately after being signed by the governor (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this)! Why the lengthy delay in Alabama???
Sheriff's Association lobbying has a lot to do with that, and is the reason this took so long in the first place. At the end of the bill it mentions that the sheriffs will get a stipend to cover their losses in revenue starting next year and the amount will be decided based on their revenue from carry permits this year, which I think is hilarious because carry permit sales for this year will most likely plummet.