Constitutional Carry Debate...

Robodoc

Established Member
Dec 19, 2021
Gadsden
I'm all for constitutional carry; but then again I don't think driving is a "priviledge" and I think you should buy permanent license plates for your cars and be done with it. My only concern is that when we get rid of CC permits in Alabama, we will also get rid of the reciprocity benefit--thoughts?

Last edited:

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Most states that have constitutional carry retain their permit system specifically for reciprocity with others states; they just make it optional. This is what I would imagine Alabama would do. Also the 2nd Amendment is very clear and "shall not be infringed" is an absolute statement with no qualifier whatsoever making ANY restriction an infringement and therefore unconstitutional on it's face.

Robodoc

Established Member
Dec 19, 2021
Gadsden
I wondered if that would be a way it could work (optional permits) and it makes sense. I don't disagree with regard to the 2nd Amendment; seems common-sensical to me...but common sense seems to be rather uncommon these days.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I’m for it, most states that have this have lower crime rates. Plus most people in Alabama already have a permit to carry and have a firearm on them anyways.

2D319A83-6A59-4602-B769-09EAF62F04CA.jpeg

An attack on someone that can defend themselves tend to less likely to attack.

The 10th Man

Established Member
Aug 13, 2021
Huntsville
I've lived in a few different states including constitutional carry, shall-issue permits, permit with marksmanship qualification, and whatever the hell New York is.

I originally preferred constitutional carry and the libertarian in me still does. My mind changed slightly after having to go through a qualification permit in SC. We had several in the class that had never held a pistol before, one with a Hi-Point straight from the dealer, and two that did not meet basic qual (35 out of 50: full silhouette; 40 rounds between 3-10 meters; 10 at 12-15). While I do not like government regulating who may carry, the training level of someone who would just buy a pistol and throw it in their waistband or purse made me pause.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I've lived in a few different states including constitutional carry, shall-issue permits, permit with marksmanship qualification, and whatever the hell New York is.

I originally preferred constitutional carry and the libertarian in me still does. My mind changed slightly after having to go through a qualification permit in SC. We had several in the class that had never held a pistol before, one with a Hi-Point straight from the dealer, and two that did not meet basic qual (35 out of 50: full silhouette; 40 rounds between 3-10 meters; 10 at 12-15). While I do not like government regulating who may carry, the training level of someone who would just buy a pistol and throw it in their waistband or purse made me pause.
This could all be alleviated if we'd teach basic firearms handling and marksmanship in public school like we should