Does anyone mess with a revolver ?

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
Never thought about that turning someone away from 38 snubby. I agree with the accuracy being a frustration, I can definitely see that. I was looking at it like if it's their first gun they probably want a simple, reliable, good caliber and easily hidden self defense firearm. The 38 snub fits good. Maybe 4 inch 38 would be a better fit

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’ve already posted in this thread but coming back around with another thought. When I started getting back into full-size revolvers a few years back (I’ve almost always kept a J-frame 642 in a pocket holster handy), I also acquired a .22LR revolver, in my case a minty old S&W K-22.

Not only is it fun in its own right, it has helped me, I believe, be a better revolver shooter overall. Light recoil but retaining that good double-action trigger practice - on range sessions where I plan to shoot a DA centerfire revolver, I usually take the K-22 along and warm-up with it first…heck, I sometimes “cool-down” with it, if you will, and end the session with a few more cylinders of rimfire.

To earlier comments about not seeing as many revolvers on the line - you ain’t kidding haha. I’m often the ONLY one at the place I shoot wielding a revolver during my visit. I probably look really nuts pulling speedstrips and such from concealment while I shoot haha…

Shown here is the K-22 in question. I have the original Magna stocks for it but typically keep these era-correct Target stocks installed. Gun dates to 1948 or so.

1670072657363.jpeg

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
That pistol is so nice. I'm like you that sometimes I carry my 642 also. Back in the 70's revolvers were everything, Thanks to all the Dirty Harry moves. I still shoot my .357 and .41 magnum .

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
^^^ Love it!

My 5-inch Model 27 is likely as close to Inspector Callahan as I’ll get…but…I do have on-order one of the fabled “Dirty Harry Shoulder Holsters” for it, due in early 2023. Not sure how much I’ll actually wear it, but my own Dirty Harry fandom demanded that I finally get one haha…

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
^^^ Love it!

My 5-inch Model 27 is likely as close to Inspector Callahan as I’ll get…but…I do have on-order one of the fabled “Dirty Harry Shoulder Holsters” for it, due in early 2023. Not sure how much I’ll actually wear it, but my own Dirty Harry fandom demanded that I finally get one haha…
At least when you wear it the cool factor will be off the charts.

Bypass

Back in Black
Staff member
Army
Sep 12, 2018
Owens Cross Roads Alabama
Have they gone by the wayside, are people not shooting them ? Or have the semi autos just take over because of mag capacity ?
For a stretch there I owned nothing but 44 mag revolvers. I always had a glock 19 though and now I'm getting back into 1911s. When I shoot stuff I want it to be destroyed. I'm weird like that. ;)

SandyShooter

Established Member
Aug 13, 2022
Gulf Coast
Never thought about that turning someone away from 38 snubby. I agree with the accuracy being a frustration, I can definitely see that. I was looking at it like if it's their first gun they probably want a simple, reliable, good caliber and easily hidden self defense firearm. The 38 snub fits good. Maybe 4 inch 38 would be a better fit
I agree with your last sentence. The 4” .38 Special is typically a good first gun. I keep one in my group of “trainers”, the guns I use when introducing new shooters to our world.

But I probably use the pistol in the photo more than any other with females and older shooters who are recoil sensitive. It’s not high speed / low drag or sexy. It’s not even one of the Big 3.
It’s a 30 year old Taurus Model 94; 4” .22 with a 9 shot cylinder. Its low recoil plus longer sight radius makes it easy to teach with.
Its J-frame size fits smaller hands and it’s a good transition gun for those that want or already have a J frame snub.

6B64F1FD-3242-41E5-8280-C899FFFB60ED.jpeg

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Re: carry of a J-frame, my personal solution is this now well-travelled pocket holster from JW O’Rourke / O’Rourke Leather. I picked this holster up from Mr. O’Rourke at a BHM gun show many years back.

I pocket-carry this a LOT. I keep the pocket otherwise empty, dedicating it to the pocket holster and gun.

1670676806583.jpeg
1670676825960.jpeg
1670676844568.jpeg

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Revolvers are still perfectly acceptable carry guns, but I think most people are more comfortable with semi-autos because of their capacity and ease of reloading compared to most revolvers. Revolvers do tend to be more commonly carried in states with magazine capacity bans and they're still the most common defensive handguns for hiking in grizzly bear country. 10mm is gaining a little bit in the bear-defense world, but a .44 Magnum is still what I see most people packing for bear country hikes.

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
Normally everyday carry a smith 7 shot 22 mag hammerless...not much place to put a holster with overalls. If out in town running around i carry a sig c3p.