Eform 4 Wait Times

Marlin44

Sep 27, 2021
Birmingham
I just verified about a week ago so I’m just getting started. I have seen some info on Reddit where some people get approved in a couple of weeks to 90 days. But 98% are 7-12 months. I wish I knew somebody that was important to expedite the process.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Don't "some people" on Reddit also buy $20 full auto ar and aks at garage sales and flea markets? If you want an actual idea of wait time try looking at the topic on a large forum such as outdoor trader.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I just verified about a week ago so I’m just getting started. I have seen some info on Reddit where some people get approved in a couple of weeks to 90 days. But 98% are 7-12 months. I wish I knew somebody that was important to expedite the process.
Most of those were because of random things such as, FFL shutting down, reprocessing due to errors not made by the applicant, or military people who are on transfer orders. All of the applications on those categories get expedited along with a bunch of gov't and law enforcement stuff civilians usually don't see.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Well I finally got the eform 4 approval today. Almost exactly 10 months from date of application last June.

A testament to the efficiency or more accurately the lack thereof for our government

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Well I finally got the eform 4 approval today. Almost exactly 10 months from date of application last June.

A testament to the efficiency or more accurately the lack thereof for our government
Congrats. I can tell you (if it's for a suppressor) once you go quiet, it's hard to go back.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I already bought a second one yesterday (hybrid 46 this time). Not excited about another 10 month wait though.

NoStep

Established Member
Mar 5, 2023
Huntsville
They don’t even read them for 90 days.

Attachments

• ADD5E2D9-ED22-499B-9AC8-32C04A025A0D.jpeg
    ADD5E2D9-ED22-499B-9AC8-32C04A025A0D.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4

Backstraps

Established Member
Apr 6, 2023
Monroe Co.
The huge, nearly unimproved wait times is unsurprising yet still disappointing. It’s like beaten wife syndrome; we hope and hope that it’ll be different this time!

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I just bought my first suppressor on Monday (KGM R556)...hoping I can forget all about it so the wait doesn't gnaw at me.

I submitted two E1's for SBR's in early March and got them back in mid-April...submitted another for an SBS a few weeks ago. From what I've read online, they're taking 3 - 6 weeks for approval.

Why do E4's take so much longer? Shouldn't the process be the same for the ATF as far as the background investigation goes?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Got my second one approved this morning. Right at 6 months this time.

BeardedNative

Established Member
Oct 24, 2022
Cullman,AL
There were lots of stories of approvals in only a few weeks early on in March when the eform came out. ATF stated repeatedly 90 days or less as the goal.

I’ve heard there was a surge of eform applications but it’s perplexing to understand why it takes so long with everything electronic until one remembers the government is involved.I

Anyone have any recent luck with the eforms for suppressors? I did an individual eform in mid June and still nothing. The ATF claimed 90 days or less and obviously that isn’t true. I’m currently over 120 days and counting.
I work for a local FFL and can assure you, no one is getting approved in 90 days. Yes the ATF stated that was the goal, but it still remains just that, a GOAL. The average wait time is 6-11 months

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
It was the stared goal with the eform. I do think a few folks in early 2022 did get a fairly short time but then it went to the 10 months with my first one. 6 months with the one last week is at least a little better.

Still absurd it takes this long!

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Yeah I don’t understand the background check after getting the stamp

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Fair enough but why is the form required?

Btw are you sure they don’t report the form?

Sumblakdude

Established Member
Aug 4, 2022
Birmingham
Fair enough but why is the form required?

Btw are you sure they don’t report the form?
The form is how you complete the transfer due to a form 4 is considered a firearm. There is a checkbox on the 4773 if its an NFA item background check isn't needed. If your LGS is doing a background check it is cause they don't know what they are doing

The government already knows you have the form 4 there is nothing to report