Etiquette/ Bill of Sales

HistoryTeacher

Established Member
Nov 29, 2021
Auburn
I have only ever sold an old single barrel shotgun in a person-to-person transaction. Obviously asked to see his ID, asked if he was a felon/prohibited possessor. Then we made the exchange. How often do you do a Bill of Sale? Do you do a very informal one? Templates? Just curious as to the best steps in general.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Some people demand them, but since there's no legal requirement to write up one I don't usually bother when selling. IMO a bill of sale is really something more to protect the buyer than the seller, in case the seller decided to be shady and report the gun stolen you'd have some evidence to back up your side of the story.

HistoryTeacher

Established Member
Nov 29, 2021
Auburn
Some people demand them, but since there's no legal requirement to write up one I don't usually bother when selling. IMO a bill of sale is really something more to protect the buyer than the seller, in case the seller decided to be shady and report the gun stolen you'd have some evidence to back up your side of the story.
That makes sense. Didn't know if I should just have one handy or not if I were to sell anything. I won't be buying lol--got too many as is.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
If you have a buyer that insists on one it's not hard to whip one up on the spot with a pen and some paper, you just need Person A is selling item X (be sure to include serial #) to person B for Y amount on Z day with signatures from each party.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Although unless it's notarized, it's not worth much more than the sheet of paper it's written on. If an unscrupulous seller reports a theft (or even someone reporting a legitimate theft), producing an unverified sheet of paper with two names written on it won't really hold much legal weight.

In 28 years of LE, I can't tell you the number of times I've stopped a vehicle under suspicious circumstances and had the driver produce a "Bill of Sale" scribbled on a napkin, Burger King receipt, etc. and expect to pass it off as legit. "I'm gonna need to see something a little more official there, Scooter...". :)

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I haven't sold many whole firearms in person, but when I sell serialized stuff, I always have two, identical bills of sale signed and dated by each of us. It just protects both of us from random bullcrap.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I haven't sold many whole firearms in person, but when I sell serialized stuff, I always have two, identical bills of sale signed and dated by each of us. It just protects both of us from random bullcrap.

Agree with this 100%

Even though there isn't any law forcing you to, it just makes sense to have a receipt for something you buy with a serial number.

I don't believe I look 'sketchy' to others, but who knows, I had one seller ask me to put my drivers license on the bottom of the bill of sale so he could get a picture, I agreed only if he did the same. We not only had a bill of sale but then we had a picture with both of our drivers licenses on it

He was very nice about asking and said it was more to prove I was an in state buyer as he had some sort of problem in the past.

I have aske some LE that I know about what happens in cases of a private sale gun that was used in a crime, then sold, and also the other way, sold privately then used in a crime, the answer I got was as long as you didn't do the crime don't worry about it. LE are use to tracking down guns from FFL paperwork and then finding out they were sold privately. It does not make you look guilty of anything.

and unless your state laws state specifically you must keep records, you do not have to keep a record (or even mention you have a record if LE ask)

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Agree with this 100%

Even though there isn't any law forcing you to, it just makes sense to have a receipt for something you buy with a serial number.

I don't believe I look 'sketchy' to others, but who knows, I had one seller ask me to put my drivers license on the bottom of the bill of sale so he could get a picture, I agreed only if he did the same. We not only had a bill of sale but then we had a picture with both of our drivers licenses on it

He was very nice about asking and said it was more to prove I was an in state buyer as he had some sort of problem in the past.

I have aske some LE that I know about what happens in cases of a private sale gun that was used in a crime, then sold, and also the other way, sold privately then used in a crime, the answer I got was as long as you didn't do the crime don't worry about it. LE are use to tracking down guns from FFL paperwork and then finding out they were sold privately. It does not make you look guilty of anything.

and unless your state laws state specifically you must keep records, you do not have to keep a record (or even mention you have a record if LE ask)
Those last parts are good to know.