External Safety or No Safety

dal205

Established Member
Jun 7, 2020
Huntsville
I prefer no safety on my striker fired pistols. I disengage the safety on my Taurus G3C once it is fully seated in my holster. I engage it before removing the pistol to place on my shelf in the evening.

I carry my Sig P938 condition one in a pocket holster. I do leave that safety engaged. I expect to have my hand in my pocket on the gun, thumb on the safety, before needing to draw.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Most of my firearms glocks and such have no safety. I was looking at an shield and I can get it with or without the safety. One with a safety was 10 mins away in trussville and basspro or without was in Hoover. I went to Hoover to get the one without as that is what I am use to.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
There are too many videos of people, even off duty LEO's, getting killed when they try to use their tool with the safety on. Train all you want, when bullets are flying at you the last thing your brain is going to think about is flipping a safety. Even if you do train to the point of incompetent competence it doesn't mean you'll have the perfect grip in an entangled gun fight. For this reason, any pistol with a grip safety (1911's XD's, etc.) is out of the question for me.
External safety/ carrying empty chamber=false sense of security. Kinda like "no firearms allowed" signs.
Train to be safely competent with your firearm and you'll be more confident in carrying.
IMHO...