Favorite pistol drills?

evnash

Established Member
Sep 27, 2022
danville, AL
im always looking to run pistol drills in my backyard range, what are you favorites?

others like the FAST Drill, Wilson 5x5 drill, ASP 10 round skills challenge

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I need to broaden my horizons a bit in this department.

Most of my defensive shooting practice is fairly simple; 2- to 3-shot strings from concealment, with a return to the holster after each string and reloads as-required. Looking to keep all hits hits in the main body-mass area of a bowling pin or IDPA-style target or, if shooting a third round in a string, making a head-shot.

Sometimes I will purposely short-load magazines to only 1-3 rounds to force a reload sooner. If shooting a revolver I typically do not short-load the cylinder.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
I do Distance shots 50-75 yards ran dry in my M4 then a round hit my EOTECH when a suicide bomber was running towards my men and got six 9mm rounds through the bomber while I ran dry in my M9 at about 60 yards but 30 yards from my soldiers.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
For defensive training, I make sure I'm wearing my EDC and do several drills from concealment (AIWB for me) with a timer, such as:

-Time to first shot.
-Doubles
-Doubles on multiple targets
-Moving in different directions on the draw (getting off the X or moving to cover)
-Complete 180 degree turn (or various angles) to first shot and on multiple targets

It really helps to have a partner for the defensive training stuff. For instance, when I do the turning drills, it's nice to have a partner randomly move the cover or concealment so that there's an awareness component or even have a different start impetus (could be a timer beep, someone yelling "gun," different sounds we might hear in the real world that would trigger alarm usually played from a cell phone). Sometimes the impetus we use is to induce a false start. Obviously those are roughly timed and more about awareness than for time, but it's the only thing I've been able to find for awareness training so to speak.

For competitive training, there's a whole bunch of stuff depending on what I'm trying to work on at the moment. It's usually something I critiqued myself on during the last match as well as the usual stuff to maintain competency.

-Doubles on a single target
-Transitions between targets (don't want to be able to hear the difference between shooting a single target or transitioning to another)
-Draw to first shot (time standard is different from defensive training. The better shooters I've seen have so very little difference in time from concealment or an OWB holster)
-Doubles with targets at various distances
-Offhand shooting w/ the above drills from draw
-Strong hand shooting w/ the above drills from draw
-Shooting with movement (there are actually a LOT of different types of movements rolled up in this: into a position, leaning out of a position, tracking targets through barriers on the move, etc)

Most of the movement stuff comes from something I've seen in competition that I either need to figure out or emulate. Sometimes I'm pressing consistency in the competitive stuff. Sometimes I'm pressing speed. The biggest part of my competitive training is largely dry fire though. I usually only live fire if I need to verify current practice or test something new. The defensive training stuff is usually all live fire and slanted more towards accuracy, but I also train that stuff far less frequent.

wood2160

Established Member
Jul 31, 2022
Mobile
It’s a relatively simple task/drill but I personally like to focus on transitions. Up/down, left/right, and diagonals. Staring slow then working to fast. Trying not to pass the target and working on quick movements from target to target.
And as stated before, short loading mags to force reloads. Take 5 or 6 and loads different quantities then mix them up and put them in the mag holster without looking at quantity. Try not to focus on how many you are loading so you don’t really know what to expect. If you have a shooting partner even better, load each other’s

rd251

Nov 7, 2022
Mobile, AL
Warm ups:

From low ready, 1 shot on target, return sights to target and hug the trigger wall
From low ready, 2 shots on target, return sights to target and hug the trigger wall
From low ready, 1 shot on target, side step 2 steps, 2 shots on target, return sights to target and hug the trigger wall

Drills:

Draw, 1-3 shots on target, change mag, 1-3 shots on target
Draw, 1-3 shots on 1st target, change mag, 1-3 shots on 2nd target
Draw, 1-3 shots on 1st target, advance/relocate, 1-3 shots on 2nd target

It gets deeper and noodley beyond that as it gets situational. A rather risky but interesting drill I've run is to have my pistol holstered while in a loose fighting stance, then have a partner dump me on my back (they then quickly flee behind me), then I spread my legs, draw, and fire 4 shots on a target about 10 yds away. This doesn't exactly simulate getting tackled, more so tripping during a retreat and defending against a charging target. Please exercise extreme caution with this one, you are at an very awkward position and discharging into a limb is quite easy if you're not careful. It's mostly to add stress and get you to act quickly and precisely.

daveinalabama

Established Member
Air Force
May 17, 2021
Huntsville, AL
im always looking to run pistol drills in my backyard range, what are you favorites?

others like the FAST Drill, Wilson 5x5 drill, ASP 10 round skills challenge
Wish I could live fire more, so I do a lot of dry fire drills to include grip practice, draw from conceal, and malfunction drills. Dry fire drills are underrated.