Favorite range?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Where is your favorite range? I mainly use my backyard.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I have been to two different indoor ranges. Hoover Tactical and Sheepdog. The noise level inside is higher of course and everything was high priced.

rtprthd

Established Member
Jan 27, 2018
Daphne
I'm going to try to resurrect this thread. In two weeks I'm going to be a Birmingham resident again. Where do you guys shoot? I've been to Hoover Tactical before. It's fine, but a typical indoor range and usually pretty crowded. When I was younger we used to go out to Cahaba Wildlife Management area. Is that range still open?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Yes they are open still as well as one in talladega and even FOP range is pretty local to you in pleasant grove. Both outdoor and indoor has pluses and minuses.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
yes, the Cahaba Wildlife Management area range is still open. I was there maybe month or so ago

https://www.outdooralabama.com/shooting-ranges/cahaba-river-wma-shooting-range

There is a range officer keeping an eye on the place, you have sign in and show your license.

A couple thoughts on this place

The rifle range faces right into the afternoon sun, you will be affected if there in the afternoon

The posted range hours for this time of year say
  • Wednesday – Sunday 8 AM to 4 PM
but the range officer will warn you his SOP to lock the gates by 4pm means you have to stop shooting at 3:30

I have mostly been shooting at FOP, the range is usually not very crowded, not too far of a drive, and there is some variety to shoot at if you join (steels range)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’m at Hoover Tactical fairly regularly. I ultimately prefer shooting outdoors, but don’t currently have access to a suitable piece of land. I like the FOP Range facility, but HT is closer-in for me.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Sheepdog in Trussville was the last one I went to, Been to Hoover Tactical but in a ways they always seem to cater to the rich. I prefer outdoors also.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I usually go to Owls Hollow range north of Gadsden. Just have to have a hunting license or be exempt to use it and game warden comes around often to check license. It’s isolated, so don’t go by yourself as there’s been some guns stolen while walking down range to change target.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Owls Hollow range - I went to this range once and although the range is nice the people that were there when I was there concerned me a bit. I had been shooting for about an hour, was there by myself, then a group slowly arrived and formed of younger people (5-6 people). They were friendly as we had talked a bit, but then some AR pistol they had jammed and they immediately pointed it down the line of shooting benches right in my direction while working to un-jam it.

I stepped off the line quickly, offered to help them clear the jam by offering tools, was declined, then I left. Have not been back since. I know this can happen anywhere, but it seems to happen more often to me at ranges that have no official range officer present.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I’ve been to Swan Creek range a couple of times, met some nice people there that all they do is go to the range shooting some very expensive guns. Once though while there with my son and wife as we were zeroing in some guns, a group of scrubby looking guys showed up with buckets scrounging brass as shooters were shooting. We told them keep your hands off our brass as we were also reloaders and our spent brass belonged to us. They didn’t like us telling them that, but we had the guns and they just had buckets!

MosinMan

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Cullman
Big Spring range just south of Guntersville! It goes to 350 and is only 100 bucks a year. All of the shooting area is covered and they have a golf cart so you don't have to walk all the way down to put up or check a target. Steels all over.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
We went to Owls Hollow range Friday to get some practice in, it was just family members, 4 of us. We set up targets and laid out our guns on four benches to shoot from. We were the only people at the 100 yard range. Then along comes a guy with a bucket scrounging brass. He headed right into our group. I stepped in front of him and told him we reloaded our own ammo and we would take care of all brass in our little area. He insisted on walking right on in on us but I told him we didn’t want him walking around our guns while we were shooting. He finally got the message and moved on. I don’t have a problem with brass scroungers doing that on an empty range but when they start invading my personal space, it’s becomes a problem!