Gun shows

Remmy21

Established Member
Jan 11, 2022
Fort rucker
Just curious on what your guys rulings on gun shows are. Went to the Dothan one acouple months back. I was surprised at how expensive everything was. Not just the ammo too but the Guns. Only good thing to come out of it was a red dot magnifier combo.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I go to the ones in Montgomery and Dothan with my dad mostly just as a way to get him out of the house and doing something we both have an interest in. I have bought guns and ammo at them in the past but it's rare to find a fair price on anything, even more rare to find something that would count as a "deal". Will be at the one in Montgomery tomorrow hopefully find some 7mm-08 that isn't being price gouged too hard.

That said if you're interested in stuff that's "gun adjacent", I have seen good deals on things like storage cases, MREs, and backpacks. Managed to pick up a used cargo case at one in Dothan for $95 that would have ran about $300-$600 new.

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
I went to one recently and was able to find 6.5 grendel rounds at a fair price. Well, for what is a fair price in "todays" inflated economy. Even Krystal burgers have jacked their prices up too.

Last edited:

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I have not been to a gun show but I do follow them. here is a list for 2022 gun shows there may be smaller and more but this is the ones I found.

Remmy21

Established Member
Jan 11, 2022
Fort rucker
I have not been to a gun show but I do follow them. here is a list for 2022 gun shows there may be smaller and more but this is the ones I found.

Ya I was eyeing one this weekend but it’s like 2 hours away. Also after looking online, sometimes seeing the prices I’m like really that’s what your trying to sell it for. Thought there would be a lot more used guns too.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
There are a few I want to check out.

Birmingham Gun Show
The one in Oneonta and
Military one.

The CASC are confirmed though

Reactions: Rex

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
I worked (Florida) gun shows for quite a few years some years back - pre obama, during obama, post obama.
There are (were) deals to be had, rip-offs to be ripped off by, and ATF stings at every one I worked.
I can tell you horror stories about ATF setting vendors (licensed dealers and private sellers) up for straw purchases. Horror stories about people selling stolen/broken/junk guns. Great stories about amazing deals had.
Mostly the prices were near the going market rates. Some vendors preyed on the under informed.

These days I mostly go looking to find the oddball thing here and there. I don't expect great deals in mass quantity.

Remmy21

Established Member
Jan 11, 2022
Fort rucker
I just went to the show in fort walton beach. Only 3 good Booths of guns. I did end up selling my 300winmag and a cheap ar, so that was cool. Bought an aug for a decent price. All in all it was a success. Just wish you could find good deals on ammo.

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
The last gun show I attended was in Huntsville, about 4 years ago. It was OK, I guess, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the merchandise available for sale. I mainly went to see if I could sell a rare Wolf & Klar S&W .44 Special, (which were quite popular with Texan lawmen in the 1930’s), to any gun collectors who might be in attendance by walking the aisles with the pistol on display and a “for sale” flyer attached. I had a couple of folks stop me to look it over - one of whom had brought his own Wolf & Klar with him to the show as well, which was a nicer specimen. But no luck getting a decent offer on mine so I went back home with it. All in all, it was a waste of time, gas, entry fee, and parking fee IMHO.

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
Just curious on what your guys rulings on gun shows are. Went to the Dothan one acouple months back. I was surprised at how expensive everything was. Not just the ammo too but the Guns. Only good thing to come out of it was a red dot magnifier combo.
I’ve only been to a handful of gun shows over the past 40 years, but my impression has always been that it’s not much better than going to a gun dealer if “bargains” are what you are after. Most vendors seem to be dealers and only a few are private individuals seeking to liquidate their personal firearms through private (non-FFL) sales or to swap. Even then, the whole reason the private sellers are doing that is to try to realize the most money possible for their firearms. I have no issue with this, as we all want to get as much $$$ out of our guns as possible when we sell - just like anything else - but that also means that such individuals often are quite resistant to dickering and some even get mad if you ask them to come down a bit on a price, so it can be a frustrating experience for a determined “bargain hunter.”

As with most things valuable and/or collectible, bargains are normally only had from friends, family, strangers desperate for money, or strangers selling off inherited guns that they know little about nor care much about. Also, one has to beware of buying a gun that either defective in some way or “hot” - which can also be why the bargain basement price was being offered.

I personally don’t have much time or patience for trying to wade through this swamp trying to find what I really want for “a steal.” Once I decide on what I want, I generally prefer to buy new and do my shopping online. Not the cheapest route - for sure - but the one with the least worries, headaches, and delays.

Having said that, I do enjoy poking around at a gun show on the off-chance that I actually do spot a gun or accessory I want for a price I can live with. It almost never happens, but it’s fun window shopping and passing an afternoon pleasurably in this manner so long as you are not there on a “mission from God” to find a specific gun for next to nothing. Good luck with THAT! LOL….

Rufus Rods

Established Member
Apr 26, 2022
Foley,AL.
The one held in Robertsdale is terrible. A lot of junk and the decent or new guns are way overpriced. I’ll just stick to the pawn shops or LGSs.

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
I am always looking for the tub of obscure loose mags and parts.

At the last Hoover Met show I got an excellent condition German zipperback mag for Sig p220 for 20 bucks, got an original 59 series Smith 20rd mag, also seen on old Marlin Camp Carbines for 25 bucks, and sold it 5 mins later.