HAM radios anyone?

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
So I bought a couple of ham radios for various reasons. Any licensed ham radio
operators here, especially Jackson county? I'll have plenty of questions as I am ham radio ignorant...
Thanks!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I bought a couple of UV-5Rs when the rumor was going around they'd get banned, but I don't have a license; been using them mainly for NOAA and police scanning and kept one on my belt this past hunting season just in case. I don't know if anyone even offers the test around here and from what little I've scanned the freqs all seem pretty dead here.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
That's what I just bought and came in today.
I live in a valley so unless there's a repeater I doubt I'll get anything, but need 2way radios anyways.

Eaglekeeper

Established Member
Dec 13, 2020
Scottsboro
Call sign W3FG here. I'm not too active right now, as I had some antenna damage during the recent storms. My activity is intermittent anyway, since I have so many other interests. I'd glad to help in any way I can, though.

The VHF activity is fairly limited around me (up around Skyline), unless there's a field day or net happening. The most consistent traffic will be found on the HF bands, of course, but there are tons of different ways to enjoy the hobby with the advent of some of the internet relays and what not.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
Thanks for responding! I'm in Princeton so unless there's a repeater close I doubt I'll pick up anything.
Is there some type of Jackson County Amateur Radio club? If so, is that the best way to get my license?
I'm seriously clueless. For instance, what is squelch?
Thanks again!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Since you said you were using a UV-5R, look into a program called CHIRP. It'll let you program your radio with frequencies a lot easier that setting it up by hand. Also check out radioreference.com to look up what frequencies are used in your area.

Eaglekeeper

Established Member
Dec 13, 2020
Scottsboro
Thanks for responding! I'm in Princeton so unless there's a repeater close I doubt I'll pick up anything.
Is there some type of Jackson County Amateur Radio club? If so, is that the best way to get my license?
I'm seriously clueless. For instance, what is squelch?
Thanks again!
Yeah! You can find the Jackson County Amateur Radio Club at http://jcar.us/ and, although I'm not involved with them, I bet they would be happy to have you come meet them. You'll find most groups are very welcoming of new folks and very helpful. There is also the DeKalb County ARC at http://www.w4gbr.org, which has a little more info on their site. One of these groups will probably have a test session sometime during the year, but there are always test sessions at the Huntsville Hamfest, which is one of the largest swap meets/vendor shows in this part of the country.

A great way, other than the clubs, to prep for the test are some of the YouTube offerings from hams. David Casler has a good set of videos, but there are a ton of channels dedicated to ham. I will say passing the test is made far easier, in that the test question pool, with answers, is made freely available.

Squelch:
This is an adjustment you can make to your receiver, so that you don't have to listen to noise between calls from stations you're receiving. You'll notice if you turn it all the way one direction, you hear nothing. Turn it all the way the other direction, you hear all of the environmental radio frequency noise. You would generally want to adjust it to the point where it JUST goes quiet. Once a signal strong enough reaches your antenna, it will 'break' the squelch and you hear the transmission. Turn it too far and weaker stations might not be strong enough to break the squelch. There are occasions when listening to very weak stations, you may have to leave the squelch open and put up with the noise.

Hope this helps.

Lowang

Established Member
Jan 21, 2021
Decatur
Guess will learn together. Eaglekeeper has some good info and links. When you get time I'd check it out.
The thing about Amateur Radio is there is always something to learn. I've had my license since 2011. I took Technician and General at the same time and passed both. I am working on my Expert now. I found a cheap antenna for my base at Staples. Tram 1481 is selling for $85. I'm running a Yaesu FTM-350A in my truck and it is a great rig. Kenwood TM-G707A in the shack.

Attachments

• 20210302_140353.jpg
    20210302_140353.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
You are welcome. Good luck. I dare say that there are more options in amateur radio than in firearms. So good advice from eaglekeeper about finding a nearby radio club.

I started with a baofung too. It is hard to beat the price but they have limitations. Chirp is great for programming. I heard that they might get the FCC ban hammer due to spurious transmission.

ARRL also has a good online test practice tool: https://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/index.html. There are others.

I have not been active since I moved to AL. I have not had time to get my antennas up. I need to get my act together....

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I am an AE but I haven't been active since I moved to AL 3 years ago. I had time to unpack and set up my gear but have not had time to setup antennas. I did get conduit under a walkway so I can get cables from the yard to the house. I still need to drill through the brick siding. I am looking forward to the Birmingham Ham Fest on Mar 4-5. https://birminghamfest.org/ I need to join the club and get an antenna party going. I am also in a valley so a tower is likely in my future. It's pretty quiet on the VHF/UHF bands in my car during my commutes.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I am likely THE least-active HAM on the planet LOL. I took the test along with some guys from a local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) group some time back and bought a Baofeng (sp.?) handheld and related accessories. I’ve chimed-in one a handful of weekly local nets here and there but just haven’t stuck with the tools / hobby / etc.

I’m always impressed at the range of communication some HAMs can achieve.