Help me find the right 1911 for me!

bravodeltasierra

Established Member
Nov 11, 2023
Northport
Looking to get into 5” 1911 in the next year or so and looking for a good quality 1911 with minimal MIM parts, blued or similar finish (not a fan of stainless), and really want front strap checkering and Novak style sights. I also like the speed hammer (don’t like the round hammer is that the commander style?) and do not want an ambi safety. Is there anything short of Les Baer or Wilson Combat that would fill these requirements?

AUBie

Jul 24, 2023
Auburn
Looking to get into 5” 1911 in the next year or so and looking for a good quality 1911 with minimal MIM parts, blued or similar finish (not a fan of stainless), and really want front strap checkering and Novak style sights. I also like the speed hammer (don’t like the round hammer is that the commander style?) and do not want an ambi safety. Is there anything short of Les Baer or Wilson Combat that would fill these requirements?
You forgot a very important criteria, price point? With the two names you’re dropping, money doesn’t seem to be a consideration. That being said, I’m a Dan Wesson guy.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
While the options mentioned are good ones, I’d recommend either a Les Baer (particularly their “UTC” model, a gun that I have quite a bit of personal experience with) or, alternately (this being a gun I’m looking into and don’t own at this time) a recent Colt limited-edition 1911, their model designation O1911SE-A1. Checks just about all your specs, with several on GB in the $1200-ish range. Pics here were copied from the Brownell’s page who is listing them at $1500-plus, which (to me) still wouldn’t be bad to get a new 1911 with frontstrap checkering (but $1200 is better, of course).

1701030454449.jpeg
1701030471561.jpeg

Old Dog

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Alabama
I would 2nd the TRP comment. I like Springfield and own the Ronin model. The TRP should satisfy your choices as you don't like stainless, and they are proven.

Frankly

Established Member
Dec 27, 2023
HSV
1. Dan Wesson (low premium)
2. Springfield (moderate)
3. Cheap 1911 and replace all the MIM junk yourself. Good way to learn about working on guns.