Help with a S&W gun ID

Tripler

Dec 26, 2021
Rockford
So I just bought this S&W M&P 15. It is a 556 nato with a 1/9 twist. I can’t figure out what model it is exactly. I paid $650 I feel like it was a fare deal but just want more info. Any help would be appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I have one also I believe the model is mp-15. I guess you can say yours is the 2nd gen. Mine is the 1st run called Sporter model that doesn't have the dust cover or forward assist. The sw shoots everything I put in it. I can't say the same about the Ruger ar15

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I agree...looks like the Sport II model. Does it have a standard FSB, or a railed gas block? They made an "Optic Ready" model with a railed gas block.

I have three (one for each of my sons and my own) and they've been as accurate and reliable as any other AR I've owned or been issued at work over the years (Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, Bushmaster, Ruger, SGW, M&P L.E. model) and compared to some, more so.

They probably wouldn't be my first choice if I were to be parachuting into hostile territory and away from civilization for an extended period of time, but for recreation shooting or a brief personal-defense encounter they're perfectly serviceable.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I have one also I believe the model is mp-15. I guess you can say yours is the 2nd gen. Mine is the 1st run called Sporter model that doesn't have the dust cover or forward assist. The sw shoots everything I put in it. I can't say the same about the Ruger ar15
Yep, this is one of the older M&P-15s not the Sport or Sport II model since it has the forward assist and dust cover and those models don't. This is of course assuming that's the same upper that came with the lower from the factory or that it isn't a build that just used an M&P 15 lower.

As far as the deal goes $615 isn't terrible but really about $450 or $500 would've been more fair.

Roadkill

Established Member
Dec 3, 2021
Alabama
I worked at Larry's on N. Pkwy for five years. Sold a lot of guns. The S&W ARs were always a good seller and I can't remember one ever coming back for warranty problems. Other had some issues.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Looks like it may be a Sport II. They used to go for around $500, but buying them new in today’s market they’ve been selling for around $700 and sometimes even more (I think they’re around $800 at Cabela’s now) The folks I know that own them tend to love them, seems like they’re very serviceable budget-friendly rifles.