Home FFL

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I am getting closer to retirement and (hopefully) will have some free time. I am considering becoming a home-based FFL. Has anyone done this in AL? Know of any resources online that I can read to educate myself on the process and pitfalls?

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
I did it for nearly 10 years. I hope you are planning to just have fun, and aren't interested in making any money.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
There was discussion of this over on the Mississippi Gun Owner's Forum. While it is possible, the BATF is not encouraging kitchen-table FFLs these days. You absolutely have to have a really decent sized safe. You have to have regular published hours (they WILL come and visit you during those hours). You have to have a local business license with your home being in an area local authorities have approved for this type business (i.e. be in compliance with zoning ordinances) with proper business insurance. Etc.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Definitely for fun and to pass time but also not at a loss. I'll start with the town first to see about business license requirements.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
You will have to have a state and local business license, and a tax account with the state - maybe county and local too, depending on their arrangement with the state. The state disbursed to my local entities, so I only needed to file with the state tax authority every month. That was always fun. Gun customers are also fun - very thrifty and well informed bunch, for the most part.

The only time I did well was selling guns on Gunbroker.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I've done some transfers with a kitchen-table FFL over in MS. He only had an FFL because he did Cerakoting - but he also did local Gunbroker transfers to bring in a little extra cash. That kept him out of the business of buying and selling. He just had to log firearms into and out of his book as they came and went.