How DOES one get into hunting?

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
I know, kinda a stupid question. It seems most people learn through family and friends while growing up, but how would someone new to the area who's never hunted before actually learn? Are their guides that can be hired for lessons on how to do it right, or do we just try and figure it out and go blast a critter as best we can?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
If you don't already have a hunting license, you'll need to take a hunter's safety course to get one which covers all the basics. As for where to go, the best option would be to either own some land yourself or be friends with someone who does but if that's not an option there are public lands (called WMAs or Wildlife Management Areas) all over the state but you'll be sharing it with strangers which isn't ideal. For more advanced tips and tricks you can always look around on Youtube but as with anything experience will be the best teacher. Good luck out there!

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else who asks this question. EVERY hunting skill needed for deer except one can be gained cheaply by learning to hunt squirrels. The one remaining skill is scent control and can be learned later.

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else who asks this question. EVERY hunting skill needed for deer except one can be gained cheaply by learning to hunt squirrels. The one remaining skill is scent control and can be learned later.
I think I might just do this. I'd rather screw up skinning a squirrel than screw up skinning a deer and ruin the dang thing.

three percent

Established Member
Oct 7, 2022
Right behind you
Hunters Ed classes are for people born after 1977 but it probably would be a good idea to get the book and study it.theres probably one online nowadays.
Get you the annual Alabama game and fish book and read all rules and regulations.
Alabama has alot of free public land.national forest only requires hunting license and you basically mark or keep people out of your spot with your vehicle showing someone is there.then you have management area most now you sign in and out on outdoor Alabama app.theres maps of all the management area on the map.
Join a hunting club is best option if you want to be very successful but good hunters kill big deer every year on public land just takes a little more skill or patience.
Really all you have to do is read all rules and regulations.buy your licenses depending on what you want to do or where you want to go.then decide on public land or hunting club unless you have access to private land .
I've killed deer 100 yards from truck and some maybe 2 miles.

three percent

Established Member
Oct 7, 2022
Right behind you
You can message me your number and I can call you and give you a lot of info if your interested.anywhere from where to hunt and how to or what rifle and scope .to much info to type

three percent

Established Member
Oct 7, 2022
Right behind you
Ok nevermind dang generation z kids
Read rules and regulations,buy license,buy rifle sight it in,go outside in woods.lmao
Really all there is to it
Learn as you go.hunt rubs and scrapes or do you need a manual for that.just yanking your chain good luck

BigFish

Established Member
Jul 1, 2023
I know, kinda a stupid question. It seems most people learn through family and friends while growing up, but how would someone new to the area who's never hunted before actually learn? Are their guides that can be hired for lessons on how to do it right, or do we just try and figure it out and go blast a critter as best we can?
Check out the Tuskegee National Forest Hunting group on FB…lot of good guys over there. Hunting there is challenging but rewarding. I can show you a few good spots there as well. I don’t go there anymore since we got our own place.

Yancey007

Established Member
Mar 3, 2021
Helena
Look for hunting clubs.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
You are very right on this....I started out hunting squirrels. Didn't get into deer hunting really hard until I was about 25.....and would still take hunting squirrels and running dogs over deer hunting any day!

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
Ok nevermind dang generation z kids
Read rules and regulations,buy license,buy rifle sight it in,go outside in woods.lmao
Really all there is to it
Learn as you go.hunt rubs and scrapes or do you need a manual for that.just yanking your chain good luck
Lol, Gen Z? Hell, I'm 38 just never was lucky enough to live somewhere with good hunting. I only ask because I lived in Alaska a few years and the state restrictions on butchering kills were ridiculously strict. Harvest an inch too much meat or too little off a moose and you'd be looking at a hell of a fine for wastage. It's damn near required to get a state licensed guide up there to show you the state sanctioned butchering technique.

three percent

Established Member
Oct 7, 2022
Right behind you
Quartering up a deer is super easy or you can carry whole deer to precessor until you learn though or you can carry it gutted or quartered up in cooler or process whole deer yourself.

My main thing was don't over think it get a gun and go into the woods.its really that simple in Alabama .

Drag it back to truck or hell a car is fine and carry it to a processor.just don't make excuses and go.

Don't sweat the little stuff and go trust me
Everyone needs a little push sometimes.hell you can hunt with me no prob just message me.we can get together long as you'll drive over it's no prob .I honestly don't mind

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
Quartering up a deer is super easy or you can carry whole deer to precessor until you learn though or you can carry it gutted or quartered up in cooler or process whole deer yourself.

My main thing was don't over think it get a gun and go into the woods.its really that simple in Alabama .

Drag it back to truck or hell a car is fine and carry it to a processor.just don't make excuses and go.

Don't sweat the little stuff and go trust me
Everyone needs a little push sometimes.hell you can hunt with me no prob just message me.we can get together long as you'll drive over it's no prob .I honestly don't mind
Thanks man, I might take you up on the offer in a month or two when I get everything sorted and a new rifle.