How to get activity?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get some activity at the forum and bring in more people?
I’m thinking a contest of some sort.

Thanks

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I am not sure there is a magic formula

Do you do any advertising at all?

I forget how I found this site, but I was actively searching for an Alabama based gun forum, so I would have found this eventually. When I lived in Virginia I was on a state based forum (still am) that had a wildly active for sale area, and that momentum carried into other parts of the forum in spurts.

A contest might bring short term activity, but what you want is longer term activity. Seems like there are some good people here, but just don't have a lot to talk about. The contest is good to bring people in, now you need the magic to make them stay.

Maybe you need a good MOA scope vs. MIL scope argument to get started ;) opposing ideas always bring a lot of comments.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Maybe have separate sections for specific brands of guns. I currently look at forums for sig, kimber, Ruger and FN. of course these are national forums so there is a bigger audience. How many people are members here? I need myself to check here often, which I have not been doing. I also look at armslist, so am always interested in a for sale section.

But as far as getting people to look here, I don’t know. I looked tonight because I received an email from the forum. So maybe sending an email once a week to all members will nudge us to visit more often.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Maybe have separate sections for specific brands of guns. I currently look at forums for sig, kimber, Ruger and FN. of course these are national forums so there is a bigger audience. How many people are members here? I need myself to check here often, which I have not been doing. I also look at gunlist, so am always interested in a for sale section.

9mm is better than 45...
No it isn’t......

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get some activity at the forum and bring in more people?
I’m thinking a contest of some sort.

Thanks
I definitely think contests are a great way to generate traffic. What were you thinking?

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
Maybe have separate sections for specific brands of guns. I currently look at forums for sig, kimber, Ruger and FN. of course these are national forums so there is a bigger audience. How many people are members here? I need myself to check here often, which I have not been doing. I also look at armslist, so am always interested in a for sale section.

But as far as getting people to look here, I don’t know. I looked tonight because I received an email from the forum. So maybe sending an email once a week to all members will nudge us to visit more often.
That’s a good idea.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
The email you got today is the start of a weekly email to show whats going on.

I am thinking maybe a $50-$100 gift card to academy or an online store like cheaperthandirt that has a varity of stuff.

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
That’s a great idea. Honestly, I’d forgotten about my account. The gift card would be good. I don’t know if you’ve seen them, or if it would be “popular” but I just got one of the Kore Essentials gun belts. It’s awesome.

dmrice251

Established Member
Aug 17, 2019
Baldwin County
The email that I recently received reminded me that I had an account here. I originally signed up for advice on private gun sales in AL, for which I got great advice. Since getting the email a few days ago, I have spent significantly more time on the forum over the last several days.

Jack Ryan

Established Member
Feb 2, 2019
Indiana
Interesting content. NEW content. Qualified people posting on topics they are informed and skilled about.

Nothing drives me away from a forum faster than reading a bunch of posts, "I don't know and I don't own one but my uncle says..."

"That guy" goes straight on my ignore list.

Rink Rat

Established Member
Jan 12, 2019
AL
How about talking to the in state gun/hunting clubs & ranges about some cross promotion? Tell them what you are trying to do with the website. Have a range day meet ups and even some focused range days to introduce new shooters, kids, ladies, appleseed events were big on the calguns forum. Stickers and t-shirts go a long way.

Jack Ryan

Established Member
Feb 2, 2019
Indiana
Get some cool, original art, t shirts made and 4 other friends who like to shoot.

Start going together as a squad to shoot together. Trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5 gun shoots and Friday Night Steel. Just show up place and do what you like to do any way.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I will always be working on the forum, however, life is always evolving for me. I mean I work around 50-60 hour a week and get paid pretty well for what I do. I also have three kids under 3 years of age with two being twins so a lot of my time is spent with them and my money is spent on them. I follow the news mainly for information related to guns and laws. I am not well versed in laws and stuff like that but I like to know whats going on with the gun laws.

I am well versed in shooting guns, though it has been a while since I have been able to shoot.