Hunting and Fishing

ron1948

Established Member
Nov 6, 2021
Talladega, Alabama
You know, I have been hunting all my life. Back in the day, it was simple enjoyment. You bought a license, dressed warm (no Walmart camo and gear), grabbed your shogun or rifle, got in your car or truck if you had one, and just went hunting. Then if you were lucky and got a buck, you displayed it on the ride home. Can't do that now because of all the animal rights activists who hate you for killing a deer but then will chow down on a ribeye or hotdog. Then it was all just about getting out there and having a good time. Well, it has gotten to the point you need to consult an attorney to make certain you are not breaking any of the zillion laws that have been passed. The conservation department has become a business organization and find everyway possible to generate funds. However, in recent years I have seen very little bang for the buck. The forest service used to maintain the roads, now they close many of them because they say they don't have the funds to keep them up. Many of the roads I used to drive my car down to hunting areas have been permanently gated and a mound of dirt pushed up behind the gate. They say they have no money but they keep hiring non-field personnel and executives. Hunting has become so complicated and commercialized that it is not fun anymore. Now it is all about competition and who can lease the best property. I have decided to give up the "sport", and I am sure a lot of other old-timers feel the same. I feel sorry for the younger hunters who are being taught that it is all about $50,000 trucks, $2000 guns, compound bows and crossbows that ae so accurate that a novice can pick one up and shoot proficiently in an afternoon of practice. Not to mention that "bowhunters" now shoot deer at over 50 yards, not like we did at 20 yards with a recurve from the ground. That is a fact. A gentleman that I worked with who had never bow-hunted, bought a compound bow, practiced for 3 hours, climbed up in a tree-stand, and killed a Pope and Young 11 point his first time up a tree. the shot was approximately 62 yards. Then you have your pre-fab shooting houses, baited fields, etc. Whatever happened to fair chase? Are we by chance at war with deer and no one told me???? BRING OUT THE ARTILLERY! About the same things can be said about fishing. Whatever happened to a cane pole, bobber, tin can of worms, and a creekbank? Well, I still do that. I could go on and on but I think everyone gets the point. Have a great day!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I wasn't there in the early days, but from my experience things have actually improved since I was a little kid at least for deer hunting. The season is longer, you can hunt both bucks and does now which increases the amount of meat you can bring home, and you have more legal calibers open so more people have an opportunity to use what they have and what's comfortable for them.