I'd Buy a Steel Framed Hammerless Smith 38, Would You?

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
I have owned two hammerless Airweight Smith 38, a Model 642's since I started policing in 1989. My mom and my sister now have them. Shooting them bastards with regular power ammo was not really enjoyable and I never bothered with +P's. Until I gave my last one to my mom, I kept it loaded with 148 grain target wadcutters. Most hollow point's aren't going to expand outta a 1.8 inch barrel so lets just have a controllable to fire slug that just punches and crushes through! Now that I am older and more brittle and my gun hand jacked up in a motorcycle crash, I got thinking that a heavier and all steel 442 would be much more enjoyable to fire. True, 20 oz versus 14 oz would make pocket carry a bit more difficult but the added weight sure would help me to practice with it more.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
I use to have two hamerless ladysmiths. Both ex wives now own them, one was given the other was stolen. I understand the weight issue mine were not steel but I has two SW36's cheifs specials those were nice as well.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
I use to have two hamerless ladysmiths. Both ex wives now own them, one was given the other was stolen. I understand the weight issue mine were not steel but I has two SW36's cheifs specials those were nice as well.
They make a 640 which is a .357 but it's barrel is a quarter inch longer and kinda spoils the "pocketability" of the piece.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I don't think they will ever be popular again. The whole reason they existed in the first place was because people wanted a small (concealable) handgun in something bigger than a mini caliber (.22/.32/etc). At the time they were designed and produced, they were the best available option. With the advent of the modern small and light 9mm semi-autos, that need has long passed.

Bamapilot010

Established Member
Nov 20, 2022
Montgomery
I have owned two hammerless Airweight Smith 38, a Model 642's since I started policing in 1989. My mom and my sister now have them. Shooting them bastards with regular power ammo was not really enjoyable and I never bothered with +P's. Until I gave my last one to my mom, I kept it loaded with 148 grain target wadcutters. Most hollow point's aren't going to expand outta a 1.8 inch barrel so lets just have a controllable to fire slug that just punches and crushes through! Now that I am older and more brittle and my gun hand jacked up in a motorcycle crash, I got thinking that a heavier and all steel 442 would be much more enjoyable to fire. True, 20 oz versus 14 oz would make pocket carry a bit more difficult but the added weight sure would help me to practice with it more.
I likely wouldn’t by a steel frames .38 special. I’ve carried the Beretta 92 on the job, and Glock 19/26 for personal use. I carry a smith 637 for quick trips or when I want to go real discrete. The lightweight is what make that attractive. Now in a .357, yes I’ll take a steel frame :)