If you had to choose one caliber for two firearms, rifle/long gun and side arm what would you choose and why? I am just curious.

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
If you had to choose one caliber for two firearms, rifle/long gun and side arm what would you choose and why? I am just curious.

I'm still learning so all opinions appreciated.

also if you have a favorite main firearm and side arm combo as a favorite if you prefer different calibers.
22 LR because you can shoot the shit out of both for very little $ until the end of your days.

Joe Friday

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
Well it seems this question was made for me!... I just can't seem to make up my mind though. I currently have this combo in:
.22 - both semi auto and revolver in hand gun and lever, bolt and semi auto in rifle
9mm semi auto and revolver in hand guns and semi auto in rifle
.357 in revolver and lever action rifle
.44 mag in revolver and lever action rifle
.45 LC in rervolver and lever action rifle
45-70 in TC Contender pistol and lever action rifle (Also have Contender barrels for .22, .357, .44, .45LC. I'll have one in 9mm if I ever run across one...)
If I count the Contender as the pistol, there is also:
.223/5.56 pistol/rifle combo
30-30 pistol/rifle combo
.308 pistol/rifle combo
It's a good thing that I reload for all this stuff!...

thebabyderp

Established Member
Dec 10, 2022
Mobile, AL

I'm still learning so all opinions appreciated.

also if you have a favorite main firearm and side arm combo as a favorite if you prefer different calibers.
9mm handgun due to the wide array of options.
7.62x39 due to ak and availability of ammo

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
are there 5.7 caliber rifles out in the wild
Ruger's making a 5.7 carbine and there are "AR-57" uppers out there that use a standard AR lower and P90/PS90 magazines. They're pretty weird, but I guess if you're into 5.7 then it's an interesting prospect.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I'd be inclined to go with 10mm, .357, or .44 magnum. All three can handle some degree of hunting use and can be had in rifles and handguns. On a purely practical level, I think I'd lean toward 10mm because of the availability of semi-auto handgun options. A 10mm 1911 or Glock 29 would make a decent carry option. A JRC or Aero Survival Rifle in 10mm would give you a passable hunting/defensive rifle for small-to-medium game and two-legged predators. That said, I like the classics, so I'd still be considering a .357 or .44 levergun/revolver combo if this weren't a hypothetical.

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
If I'd have to chose I'd go with a glock in .45 and have different caliber barrels and parts so I could swap em out if I ran out of .45.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
I have this setup twice; once in a lever gun and revolvers in .38/.357 and another in a PCC and hand guns in .40 S&W.

If I had to pick, I'd carry the .38/.357 combo around the homestead and the .40 S&W combo out in the big bad world.

Ed Jennings

Established Member
Jul 6, 2020
Pleasant Grove AL
My first thought is the .357 lever and a revolver. But, today I was looking at that new Henry 9mm semi auto magazine fed rifle. Interesting. Now, what if a similar rifle were to be produced in 10mm? Plenty of 10mm handguns available now. probably would make a more suitable hunting round for deer size game. Dunno what sort of velocity you’d get out of a 18”+/- barrel, but thinking a 180 grain bullet might approach 2K fps. BUT, AFAIK, no one produces any sort of rifle or carbine in 10mm.