Is all 9mm ammo the same exact size?

Matt nelson

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
The reason for this question is because I have a s&w sd9ve and I've ran Winchester hollow points, federal fmj, and federal American eagle fmj, with these three I can load the mag with 16 rounds plus one in the chamber, it shoots flawless!! Not one jam ever! Well today I picked up a box of monarch fmj, if I only load it with 16 rounds and rack the slide for a total of 16 rounds it performs flawless, but if I load the mag with 16 +1 in the chamber after the first shot The bullet hangs up, any info would be great

Matt nelson

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
I was using monarch brass but I blame it because my gun will feed anything else and the salesman told me monarch is one of the worst you can buy and if my gun wouldn't feed it it's not the gun it's the ammo I hate shooting steel and aluminum ammo

Danny Taddei

Established Member
I have had ok luck with monarch. That doesn't mean it wasn't the ammo. Every gun is a little different and some guns are particular.
Your gun is actually, usually, pretty forgiving to everything but your trigger finger. (you can get a kit for about $30 that will lighten that pull if you want to)
I had 3 of those guns, 2 in 9 and one in 40. I ran monarch through mine all the time without a hitch but all you need is one bad batch to ruin the day.
Try another box bought at another time and place and see if you get the same stinky results.
I posted this a few places already tonight but you might have missed it.... so here it is again.
Look at gunbot.net and slickguns.com
You'll find the best prices.

Matt nelson

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
I like the trigger, I shoot revolvers so I'm used to it, what did you mean by my gun is forgiving to everything?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I like the trigger, I shoot revolvers so I'm used to it, what did you mean by my gun is forgiving to everything?

He means that the gun will eat any ammo, and it is easy to use and even if you mess up the gun still performs such as limp wrist.

Matt nelson

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
OK update on the ammo question, so I went to the range today with a box of federal and loaded the mag completely full with one in the chamber for a total of 17 rounds, shot it limp risting on purpose and it shot flawless, so I do forsure blame the cheap monarch ammo that caused my hang up after the first shot, did this multiple time and it performed flawless, definitely gonna stay away from monarch ammo, but on the monarch if I only load 16 rounds total it was flawless so after my shooting experience today it was definitely an ammo problem

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I hear ya, sir. Over time, I've had a couple or three instances where a particular gun / ammo combination just wouldn't play well together. Experimentation like yours is all that will root it out.

I have my overall ammo preferences like everybody else but will sometimes venture out a bit just to see what else might work. Most often, it DOES work, thankfully.

Matt nelson

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
I agree everything has worked including hollow points, I also limp risted on purpose to make sure it wasn't the gun and I was right it was the ammo, but like I said above all other ammo I can load the mag full with one in the chamber and it works flawless, but if I completely load it +1 in the chamber with monarch it jammed after the first shot but that's the only time it would ever jam, if I just loaded the mag full them racked one in the chamber OMG it was flawless, but monarch is the only ammo I can't load full mag and 1 in the chamber with, so I highly blame the ammo, which I'm not worried about because it still shot very well without the one in the chamber, load the mag and rack the slide it's perfect, I've used monarch, federal American eagle, federal, and Winchester hollow points, worked flawless, freakin love this gun!