Kimber Micro-9 First Impressions

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
IMG_0190.jpeg So I recently acquired a Kimber Micro-9. I’ve heard extremely mixed reviews with some people swearing that it’s the most reliable Mustang derivative on the market and other people swearing that theirs has never made it more than two rounds without a malfunction. I got mine new, gave it a quick cursory clean, and took it to the range on this past weekend to see if I had the same experience as other people.

I only fired about 100 rounds and used only 124gr Blazer Brass during the range trip. I have yet to fire self defense ammo through the Micro 9. When I do test that, I’ll update this thread. With the 124gr Blazer Brass, I had zero malfunctions and reasonable accuracy out to 25 yards (the farthest I was shooting handguns that day), but I’m sure you could reach out farther than that easily. The sights on mine are the TruGlo option you can get from the factory and they seem dead on with a superimposed hold.

I’ve also heard lots of complaints about the recoil. It’s definitely snappy due to its size and the cartridge fired, but I didn’t find it particularly harsh. I’m sure swapping out the recoil spring would help immensely in terms of taming that recoil. Either way, it’s to be expected given the size and weight of the pistol.

Overall, I liked the Micro 9 on my first range trip. With 124gr Blazer Brass, it didn’t have any malfunctions but I can’t vouch for other weights or manufacturers. I want to test it more thoroughly before I carry it (it’s not going to be my EDC, but it’ll be for occasional deep carry). I’ll be testing defensive ammo soon, probably starting with Gold Dot.

Last edited:

Mississippi97

Established Member
Jan 5, 2021
Mobile/Baldwin County
View attachment 11624 So I recently acquired a Kimber Micro-9. I’ve heard extremely mixed reviews with some people swearing that it’s the most reliable Mustang derivative on the market and other people swearing that theirs has never made it more than two rounds without a malfunction. I got mine new, gave it a quick cursory clean, and took it to the range on this past weekend to see if I had the same experience as other people.

I only fired about 100 rounds and used only 124gr Blazer Brass during the range trip. I have yet to fire self defense ammo through the Micro 9. When I do test that, I’ll update this thread. With the 124gr Blazer Brass, I had zero malfunctions and reasonable accuracy out to 25 yards (the farthest I was shooting handguns that day), but I’m sure you could reach out farther than that easily. The sights on mine are the TruGlo option you can get from the factory and they seem dead on with a superimposed hold.

I’ve also heard lots of complaints about the recoil. It’s definitely snappy due to its size and the cartridge fired, but I didn’t find it particularly harsh. I’m sure swapping out the recoil spring would help immensely in terms of taming that recoil. Either way, it’s to be expected given the size and weight of the pistol.

Overall, I liked the Micro 9 on my first range trip. With 124gr Blazer Brass, it didn’t have any malfunctions but I can’t vouch for other weights or manufacturers. I want to test it more thoroughly before I carry it (it’s not going to be my EDC, but it’ll be for occasional deep carry). I’ll be testing defensive ammo soon, probably starting with Gold Dot.
My first 1911 was an ultra carry ii. Some reviews said it would be unreliable but after the breakin where I had a couple issues I never had a problem with it.

Shootermoose

Established Member
Sep 28, 2023
birmingham
A friend of mine bought one new about a year ago. Initally he was unimpressed due to how snappy it felt. But after the break in period - it either softened up, or he just got used to it - and now its one of his favorites to shoot.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
My first 1911 was an ultra carry ii. Some reviews said it would be unreliable but after the breakin where I had a couple issues I never had a problem with it.
Out of curiosity, how long/how many rounds was the break-in period for you? I’ve heard that Kimbers tend to have one, but I haven’t experienced it myself given that the Micro 9 is my first time using a Kimber product.

Mississippi97

Established Member
Jan 5, 2021
Mobile/Baldwin County
I think at the time I read a recommendation of 500 rounds or so. Mine had a few hiccups in the first 300. Like literally three or four stove pipes. It was fine after that and I felt safe carrying it for several years till I got the itch for something else and sold it to fund the new purchase.

Old Dog

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Alabama
Had the Micro9 KHX and really liked it. Someone else liked it more, so replaced it with a G43X. Little more barrel makes a difference as well as being flat and thin, even though I'm not a Glock guy.Summer carry, going to my P07 for winter.