Lets Get Real With Carry

fixer

Established Member
Apr 23, 2017
Ohio
Its hard to conceal a full size pistol.

I open carry a Sig p320 9mm when i can and i always Conceal a Glock 43

they both have a job to do and they both perform them very well

I would find it quite difficult to comfortably conceal a full size pistol like a 1911 in the Summer time for sure.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I carry a taurus pt-111 its a smaller pistol that comes apart like a glock. I like it and shoots well, will eat anything I put in it. But its not a glock. I find that it is easy to carry it at the 5oclock position IWB in a Kydex holster(I suggest getting leather). I have a BIL that carrys a full size 1911. But he also has 100 pounds on me and it does not show when he is carrying.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I'll offer my .02.

I often carry a full-size, steel-framed 1911. For me, what makes it possible is a good belt (mine are from A&G Custom Gunleather) and quality holsters (my favorites are an Explorer high-ride from Privateer Leather for OWB and a Milt Sparks VM-2 for IWB).

Personally, I spent a lot of time trying to carry larger / heavier guns with especially bad belts - belts that may have been okay (at best) for holding the pants up but marginal (at best) for supporting a handgun and spare ammo.

There are lots of options, many of them great options and in the form of smaller / lighter guns. I'm still a Glock fan, with perhaps my favorite model being their small-ish G26. What a great gun! Easy to carry, easy to conceal, and shoots as well as its larger cousins the 19 and 17. I used to carry one "tucked" IWB and you'd never know it was on-board.

I'm just a 1911 guy, probably even in the fan-boi category - I admit it ha-ha.

Imagine my pleasure on finding a great deal on a gently-used Dan Wesson CCO. Commander slide on an Officer's frame, and a lightweight frame at that. There's another one that goes "tucked" IWB on a regular basis.

Anywho, I've typed way too much. Whatever one carries, the key is always practice, practice, practice.

Michael Wascom

Established Member
Jun 5, 2017
Decatur, Alabama
I carry a Ruger 1911 Commander everyday or my Kimber 3” 1911, both in .45
You need good holsters and a really good quality gun belt and they’re comfortable.
I have a big belly and can conceal either under my T-shirt.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I also have a 19 I carry which is what I’ll be carrying today on thanksgiving. I do not think I’m going shopping today thank god.

Blubayou

Established Member
Jan 10, 2021
Huntsville
I carry Ruger LCP and 40 cal M&P Shield not at the same time. Depends if I'm tucking my shirt. Both loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. DeSantis IWB for both and Tege paddle polymer for OWB. Recently bought a Bulldog poly for the LCP and although it needed to be shimmed to snug it up, the lock is very secure and easy to release considering the button design.