Lighthorse Tactical / Basic Handgun / Calera, AL

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Just saw a post about this on social media and am now signed-up - Lighthorse Tactical will offer their Basic Handgun course at Double Tap Training Grounds in Calera on Saturday 5 February.

More details here:

Click the Registration link and scroll to their class listed as “22-03 Basic Handgun.”

I’ve had some basic and arguably “a little beyond basic” instruction over time, but it’s now been just about 2 years since my last formal training session. Looking forward to this one!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I've never had any formal training before and have considered it, but I do wonder if it's worth the course fee, travel time, and ammo for me for a basic class. Anyone ever taken this one before?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
All I can say is that I’ve heard / read good things about them. Had a guy I used to attend church with take what I believe was this same course, and he enjoyed it.

Once upon a time, Hoover Tactical Firearms offered some classes at a very, very reasonable cost. I was able to get in on one of those just before the start of the pandemic; since then, I don’t think they’ve offered any further “general admission” classes (though private instruction is available, I’m almost certain).

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
One of the instructers I have met in person and he is super nice. I would highly recommend one class if not more. The information you get and how to handle yourself and firearm in certain situations is undervalued. One class and you will be amazed at how you carry yourself.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Was it a “Curt,” by chance? That’s who responded to me via email when I registered. I mentioned the class to the gentleman at my church who heads our security team and he mentioned knowing Curt and gave him high marks.

I agree with you - any of the training I’ve had to-date (and subsequent dry- and live-fire practice to keep the learning fresh) has definitely been a confidence-booster.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Oof, just realized that date is on the last weekend before deer season ends
I meant to chime-in on this - I hate the date-conflict but know you’ve gotta get the time afield on the hunt when it’s available!

Last edited:

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Well, I’ve had a no-miss event with the family crop-up for the date of the class so I’m going to have to watch for this one to come back around.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
Lighthorse is a LEGIT operation. Curtwas an Army Cavalry Scout, Bham Tac "back in the day" and started the Hoover SWAT Team as we know it. He has INTERNATIONAL training credentials and is a founding member of the ATOA and started the annual SWAT conference and SWAT team competition.
Be rest assured, any training with LIGHTHORSE WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT. Tell Curt, the only one-legged, retired Patrol Sergeant he knows recommended Lighthorse.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
I need to resurrect this thread to encourage anyone who wants a great training experience to check these guys out. Just finished basic handgun (thank you Chuck and John) and we had everyone from first time gun owners to people who've been shooting for 20 years. Everyone got what they needed and everyone left a better shooter. Can't recommend them highly enough.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
@theothermikeg thank you for posting this and I’m glad (and not surprised) to hear that this went so well! I’m watching their schedule to see when I can get into a class.

I took a classroom-only session from them on Handgun Law in the meantime a few weeks back and it was very good.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
How is this guy? I could use some refresher. Been out of Regiment for a few years now and trying to shoot move and communicate classes is getting difficult to do.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
While he’s not Lighthorse’s only instructor, Curt Carpenter is the real-deal. I’ve taken some non-range classes from him over the last six months and would like to get into his / their range classes soon.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I've worked with Curt and several of the other instructors during the course of my L.E. career. I don't know all the instructors that LH uses, but the several I do know all have LE/Mil. experience and are definitely "been there, done that" instructors rather than the "I've got certificates that show I'm an Instructor" type that you sometimes run into (I've had to endure several of those through my career also).