Mom's looking for her first CCW...

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Considering she's 80+ I'd recommend a Smith Airweight. No slide to rack back, no mags to fill, just load it up , point it at the bad guy, and shoot. She could put it in her purse if she wants but carrying somewhere on the body like a jacket pocket would be preferable.Only downside is it'll have more recoil being that it's lighter weight.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Considering her age and training need you have to keep it as simple as possible. That’s probably then a 38 revolver although you might consider a 22mag as the 38 may be too much recoil.

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
Reason I'm asking is because I have a lot of ammo available and was wondering if she could get a new gun to where we would not have to look too far for ammo. My dad has a berretta, but it's too big for concealment, and not to mention it's hard to get the slide back. Could a G2C be a nice grab for the $$? I know the company that makes them is lackluster in their other semi auto models, but I know the G2s and G3s are more available at the box stores. Or is a wheel just a better idea for her?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Just my opinion as I don’t know your mother, but I would strongly recommend a revolver based on your description. There are some semi autos made for people that have difficulty pulling the slide back that might work. However if she is a novice at 80 years old then the complexity of a semi auto is likely a major issue. Thus the simplicity of the revolver.

Atlas

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Montgomery, AL
My mom loves the S&W 642 air weight. No slide to rack and a simple manual of arms makes it great for a newer shooter who can handle the recoil.