mysterious brass splinter

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
Me and dad were plinking at my gong last week and between his M9A1 and my taurus 856 using brass plated tips in my chamber; We walked home, and I decided to inspect the shrapnel zone and found a sliver of what appeared to be a casing seeing it was brass on both sides. I would think that either the hull of one of my .38spl slugs or a poorly chambered 9mm in the baretta may have sliced down the barrel when fired. The brass was right under the plate and both sides were yellow, no copper.

Do I need to inspect his gun for damage from this or is this a normal occurrence? I think the shrapnel strip was thrown out, otherwise I would show a pic if I still had it...

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Do you have a picture of what you found? I’ve seen pieces of copper from fmj rounds that have come apart while striking a solid object. Are you sure it was brass and not copper?

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
Do you have a picture of what you found? I’ve seen pieces of copper from fmj rounds that have come apart while striking a solid object. Are you sure it was brass and not copper?
Yes, this was probably a jacket fragment, found more yesterday. The object didn't make sense till i looked at them closer...

Attachments

• DSC01646.JPG
    DSC01646.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01654.JPG
    DSC01654.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01657.JPG
    DSC01657.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 9