Nichols Outfitters Closed...Out of Business

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Just saw that Nichols Outfitters in Pelham has suddenly closed their doors. I don't know the circumstances behind it, but it seems rather abrupt.

It says they will continue suppressor transfers until all are cleared...I just bought one there in May and if the current approval timeline holds, I won't see mine until December or January. A few years ago, I was this close to buying a suppressor from the now-defunct gun store that was on Hwy. 31 in Morris. I would drive past every day on the way home from work, and finally talked myself into diving in and starting the process. I drove by a few days later and noticed they were closed down and the store nearly empty. I've waited several years and finally talked myself back into getting a suppressor a few months ago. I picked Nichols because they had what I was looking for and at a good price...and I thought, "No way they'll be closing down and leave my transfer in limbo...". Well...FML.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Wow - I hate to hear this. They used to run a funny TV ad that poked a little gun at Mark’s Outdoors, who at the time had rented billboard space near / over the Nichols shop alongside the interstate.

Seems there was a Nichols Concrete or similar operation adjacent to the sporting goods outfit; I assumed they were in the same family.

For a time, at least, Nichols appeared to not be open on Saturdays, which I found a little odd from a retail perspective.

At the onset of the pandemic, they were a good local ammo source. I’m sorry to see them go.

Fritz53

Veteran
Aug 15, 2021
Atmore
I live in Atmore and if anytime I am up this way Nichols was my go to place. Even if I didn’t buy anything I got to see the latest and the greatest. It was always good to go in there,it was the kind of place that I might buy something that I really didn’t need but hey they were selling it so out the door we went. I will miss this place.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I emailed Pat (who did my suppressor transfer) and he reassured me he'd be there until all pending approvals came back.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I've read on another forum that the closure was due to someone buying the Concrete Equipment part of the business, but not wanting the gun/outdoor sales side. It's a shame they couldn't have had a sale to reduce inventory...not sure if they're going to transfer the remaining inventory to other FFLs or return it to distributors.