NRA vs Gun Owners Of America

Bamahound

Established Member
Mar 25, 2021
Deatsville, AL
Life Long NRA member here ( dues paid for 5 year membership at the time) . I in a small part I paid for million dollar salaries, private jets, exotic trips, ect. I didn't get a thank you or Christmas card but I get weekly NRA needs money now, We need your help, Your membership has expired letters. Filing for bankruptcy 90 days after paying Bill Brewer $12,000,000. Gun Owners Of America is where I send my membership dues. I hope those guys don't go down the same road as the NRA

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Life Long NRA member here ( dues paid for 5 year membership at the time) . I in a small part I paid for million dollar salaries, private jets, exotic trips, ect. I didn't get a thank you or Christmas card but I get weekly NRA needs money now, We need your help, Your membership has expired letters. Filing for bankruptcy 90 days after paying Bill Brewer $12,000,000. Gun Owners Of America is where I send my membership dues. I hope those guys don't go down the same road as the NRA

The NRA has supported gun control from the beginning. GOA tends to focus on bashing only Democrat gun control advocates but as far as I know they actually support ending both democrat and republican brand gun control.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
The NRA has supported gun control from the beginning. GOA tends to focus on bashing only Democrat gun control advocates but as far as I know they actually support ending both democrat and republican brand gun control.

GOA "bashed" Trump and the Trump ATF on the bump stock ban.

Based on their stated mission as well as my observations, the GOA is strictly pro 2nd Amendment wherever that may go.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham

I contribute monthly to GOA.

I quit the NRA when I saw them fold on the bump stock ban. I don't own one, but it was another example of their willingness to compromise. Like Rubicon said, they've been compromising from the beginning.

Well before quitting the NRA, I was fed up with the their propensity for spending money on themselves, but I hung on with the hope they'd do some good. The bump stock fold convinced me to stop looking for the unicorn so I didn't renew after that.

The 2nd Amendment Foundation may be another good organization, (they filed the recent case about 3D Gun Plans I believe), but I haven't researched their background.

Last edited:

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
GOA "bashed" Trump and the Trump ATF on the bump stock ban.

Based on their stated mission as well as my observations, the GOA is strictly pro 2nd Amendment wherever that may go.
They did that but then when election time came their message became strictly anti Biden. They didn't speak about trump. It's minor, bit still bothered me a bit. They're definitely my choice though.

Bamahound

Established Member
Mar 25, 2021
Deatsville, AL
I have heard good things about the 2nd Amendment Foundation. I may sign up there also to have 2 bets on the same hand. Maybe 1 of them will do what they are paid to do

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
They did that but then when election time came their message became strictly anti Biden. They didn't speak about trump. It's minor, bit still bothered me a bit. They're definitely my choice though.
Not true. The were still working on reversing the bump stock ban. Why do you think it was recently reversed in court? GOA was the plaintiff. Stop moving the goalpost.

Naturally, since Biden was very outspoken about what he planned to do, opposing his efforts became a priority. I've never gotten the impression the GOA is "anti-Biden", though.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
The NRA has supported gun control from the beginning.
Yep, this is 100% true, go look it up if you have any doubts. They helped draft the NFA, GCA, and compromised on Hughes as well as bump stocks. I donate monthly to GOA and NAGR (National Association for Gun Rights) and on the rare chance I buy something from Amazon I have SAF set up as my Amazon Smile charity which has a nice bit of schadenfreude to it. GOA and NAGR still send me those same NRA style "OMG GIVE US MONEY RIGHT NOW OR YOU'LL LOSE YOUR GUNS FOREVER" emails and physical mail though which I really wish they would stop doing

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Not true. The were still working on reversing the bump stock ban. Why do you think it was recently reversed in court? GOA was the plaintiff. Stop moving the goalpost.

Naturally, since Biden was very outspoken about what he planned to do, opposing his efforts became a priority. I've never gotten the impression the GOA is "anti-Biden", though.
I know they were working against trumps gun control measures. I'm just saying that their social media during the election seemed to be steering people towards trump by not addressing his anti 2nd amendment stances.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I know they were working against trumps gun control measures. I'm just saying that their social media during the election seemed to be steering people towards trump by not addressing his anti 2nd amendment stances.

There were no "measures". In spite of the bump stock ban, both Trump's words and actions indicated no further attempts at gun control.

Biden, on the other hand, was vocal that he planned new restrictions on 2nd Amendment rights, restrictions far more expansive than Trump's bump stock ban, which was already being fought in the courts.

Under the circumstances, prioritizing the danger Biden's positions represented was entirely appropriate and not what I would consider "steering people towards trump".

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
There were no "measures". In spite of the bump stock ban, both Trump's words and actions indicated no further attempts at gun control.

Biden, on the other hand, was vocal that he planned new restrictions on 2nd Amendment rights, restrictions far more expansive than Trump's bump stock ban, which was already being fought in the courts.

Under the circumstances, prioritizing the danger Biden's positions represented was entirely appropriate and not what I would consider "steering people towards trump".
His banning of bump stocks and appointment of an anti gunner to the atf made his anti 2nd amendment stances pretty clear. Pretty sure I even remember him bragging about his admin prosecuting record numbers of firearm offenses. People who were pro 2nd amendment already knew biden was anti 2nd. What they may not have known is that trump is also anti 2nd amendment, just to a less vocal extent. Both trump and biden would have lead us farther down an anti 2nd path. The only difference is how fast they walk. On the bright side, at least republicans tend to push back against democrat brand gun control. They don't do that as much with republican brand. After all, Rs still love ronald "no one needs an ak 47" regan don't they?

Presidential elections aren't binary but most people act like they are. Demonizing one side while ignoring the other is effectively steering people towards the other unless you're pointing out nonbinary alternatives.

Last edited:

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
His banning of bump stocks and appointment of an anti gunner to the atf made his anti 2nd amendment stances pretty clear. People who were pro 2nd amendment already knew biden was anti 2nd. What they may not have known is that trump is also anti 2nd amendment, just to a less vocal extent. Both trump and biden would have lead us farther down an anti 2nd path. The only difference is how fast they walk. On the bright side, at least republicans tend to push back against democrat brand gun control. They don't do that as much with republican brand. After all, Rs still love ronald "no one needs an ak 47" regan don't they?

Presidential elections aren't binary but most people act like they are. Demonizing one side while ignoring the other is effectively steering people towards the other unless you're pointing out nonbinary alternatives.

I look at GOA's behavior during the election and interpret it as responding appropriately to the severity of one potential threat vs the other.

You look at GOA's behavior and interpret it as "demonizing".

I'm OK if we agree to disagree on this one.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
I look at GOA's behavior during the election and interpret it as responding appropriately to the severity of one potential threat vs the other.

You look at GOA's behavior and interpret it as "demonizing".

I'm OK if we agree to disagree on this one.
Yeah me too.

Bamahound

Established Member
Mar 25, 2021
Deatsville, AL
Maybe Colion Noir will run for president and have Candace Owens as Vp. That would put a end to the 2A threat and the race card BS at the same time. If "We The People" want to protect the Constitution, "We The People" are going to have to put the right people in the right places.