Opinions on Troy-Made Kimbers?

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I know people have really strong opinions on Kimber whether as out-of-the-box guns or base guns for future modifications. I'm just curious if anybody on here has owned and use Troy-made Kimber products and what their thoughts are on the guns. I'm mainly wanting to know about the 1911s and Micros, and especially the 10mm offerings.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
I have a Kimber Stainless II 10mm with 5 inch barrel. They also make a target model with a 6 inch barrel but I was not interested in that. I bought mine new at Simmons for what I think was a decent price in April of 2021. The first time I took it to the range it would not load the second round from the magazine after the first round ejected. It only came with one mag, and I tried it several times with the same result, so I went back to Simmons very disappointed. They tried several different magazines and nothing worked, so they sent it back to Kimber. It came back a week later and I have had no problems with it since. They did not say what they did to fix it.

It is a great gun, I would recommend it. I like having Kimber nearby. Have had 3 other Kimbers, two of the ultras with 3 inch barrel in .45 and a 9mm aegis elite pro with a 4 inch barrel. Nome of those were made in Troy, but never had any problems with any of them. Did not like the takedown method of the ultras.

wardamneagle

Established Member
Nov 7, 2022
Auburn
Kimber gets beat up pretty hard on the Internet. I own one Kimber pistol and it is a solid shooter, very accurate as to be expected, and ate through some old crappy ammo. The QC issues stemmed from the move Kimber made. Their 1911's feel good, so I don't think you would go wrong with buying any model.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
A lot if not all of the issues with Kimbers is their magazines. I traded out the Kimber mags for Wilson combat mags. Haven’t had a failure since I did that many years ago. I own several Kimbers.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
A lot if not all of the issues with Kimbers is their magazines. I traded out the Kimber mags for Wilson combat mags. Haven’t had a failure since I did that many years ago. I own several Kimbers.

Interesting. I’m going to have to look in the Wilson mags. Thanks for the tip.

Wilson mags must be made by the ghost of John Moses Browning himself or something. I used to have a cheapo Rock Island 1911 that couldn't make it through 8 rounds without malfunctioning using the factory Armscor mags. Switched over to Wilson mags and never had another malfunction with that pistol. From what I understand, most 1911 malfunctions are magazine-related, and I believe it after that experience.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
A big +1 to the Wilson Combat 1911 magazine commentary. I know there are some other fine 1911 mags out there, but for my 1911s I’ve been a dedicated Wilson user for several years now.

Specifically, I use their 7-round Model 47 with Wilson’s low-profile steel basepads, no matter what 1911 I’m working with.