Pistol brace for Concealed Carry in vehicle

The 10th Man

Established Member
Aug 13, 2021
Huntsville
Knowing that most states consider concealed carry to only extend to pistols and with the legal definition of a sub carbine and brace being a pistol. Could a sub gun legally be loaded and carried in states with permit reciprocity? Or would that be asking for trouble?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
With the firm caveat that I’m not an attorney or legal expert - my suspicion is that if the BATF classifies the arm as a “pistol,” then it would be considered that in all jurisdictions unless a specific jurisdiction (be it a city or a state) has something on the books that classifies it otherwise.

All that said, I understand why you’d have pause in traveling with it in a ready-condition out of your home state. I believe I would feel the same.

Also, I’m assuming the weapon in question is semi-auto only? When I read “sub-gun,” my mind goes to “submachine gun,” which I don’t think is the topic here. That would, of course, be whole different ball of wax.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
I've carried a folded/braced CZ Scorpion as a truck gun for about 5 years, to/from Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, South & North Carolina, and Florida and never been concerned. Before traveling much beyond those areas, I probably would rethink having it in my truck. Definitely something to consider.

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
As you have stated and others have stated, it is definitely something to consider, you may not have a problem with getting out of it with a judge, but you may have to spend money hiring a lawyer and going back to said state after an officer gives you a ticket and confiscates your gun. Now, you are out a lot of money for something the officer may have been wronging in giving you the ticket and confiscating your property, you won't get that time and lawyer money back. I could be wrong in what I'm saying, but . . . I'm not much into pushing officers too much, they already have a tough enough job.