Pistol Brace Rule

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Another example of the failure of government with this pistol brace rule. The ATF has repeatedly ruled in the past that these are fine and now they aren’t. Surprise surprise!! Now you have to register them within 120 days.

I’m sure the litigation will fly and doubt this “rule” will stand. However if any out there decide they want to sell their firearm with a pistol brace I’m likely a buyer. Just shoot me a message with what you have, especially any CMMG, Daniel Defense, Galil, etc.

Bypass

Back in Black
Staff member
Army
Sep 12, 2018
Owens Cross Roads Alabama
Problem is once the rule goes into affect all braced rifles will have to be transferred as SBRs.

I skipped all the drama and went the stamped taxed route and SBRd everything a long time ago.

The NFA system is going to be overloaded for years now with people stamping their SBRs especially since they are giving away free stamps.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Best estimates I have seen is that there are around 40 million pistol braces out there. I’m still waiting now for over 8 months for my eform suppressor approval.

So 15-20 years for your SBR tax stamp???

NyetRifleisfine

Longtime Member
Problem is once the rule goes into affect all braced rifles will have to be transferred as SBRs. I skipped all the drama and went the stamped taxed route and SBRd everything a long time ago. The NFA system is going to be overloaded for years now with people stamping their SBRs especially since they are giving away free stamps.
Problem is once the rule goes into affect all braced rifles will have to be transferred as SBRs. I skipped all the drama and went the stamped taxed route and SBRd everything a long time ago. The NFA system is going to be overloaded for years now with people stamping their SBRs especially since they are giving away free stamps.

They’re giving away stamps?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Well sort of if you register within 120 days of the rule being published then you can get a form 1 SBR stamp. Of course that is then the creation of a registry of up to 40 million firearms with braces that have been purchased legally without the requirement for a tax stamp over the last decade or so.

In Alabama class 3 isn’t an issue but if you happened to live in a state that doesn’t allow class 3 (like Kalifornia or even Maryland where I lived in the past) you are pretty much screwed.

I’m not a lawyer or providing legal advice in any way. Having said that I would strongly recommend one to be patient to see what develops and carefully consider options about this ATF registration scheme.

NyetRifleisfine

Longtime Member
Well sort of if you register within 120 days of the rule being published then you can get a form 1 SBR stamp. Of course that is then the creation of a registry of up to 40 million firearms with braces that have been purchased legally without the requirement for a tax stamp over the last decade or so.

In Alabama class 3 isn’t an issue but if you happened to live in a state that doesn’t allow class 3 (like Kalifornia or even Maryland where I lived in the past) you are pretty much screwed.

I’m not a lawyer or providing legal advice in any way. Having said that I would strongly recommend one to be patient to see what develops and carefully consider options about this ATF registration scheme.
So if I register it within 120 day window, I can get a 200$ discount on the same process, that would cost me 200$ before or after that window? I mean when you apply for your stamp you’re registering anyways, might as well do it while it’s free.

• Wow
Reactions: Trs

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Assuming you want to be on the “pistol brace” registration list then sure it’s better than paying $200 to be on the list. All of the purchases of pistol braces over the last decade were done with the clear view they weren’t SBRs.

Again, to each their own, but I personally have a problem with doing that. I’m sure some will though. The question I would have for those that do is what happens when the same ATF that said these aren’t SBRs for many years decides at the direction of a future anti gun president those that are now on their registry suddenly are “too dangerous” to own and you must turn them in within 120 days?

Not suggesting anything illegal or offering any legal advice whatsoever. Just be careful with what you do today for $200 and the resulting future consequences.

NyetRifleisfine

Longtime Member
Assuming you want to be on the “pistol brace” registration list then sure it’s better than paying $200 to be on the list. All of the purchases of pistol braces over the last decade were done with the clear view they weren’t SBRs.

Again, to each their own, but I personally have a problem with doing that. I’m sure some will though. The question I would have for those that do is what happens when the same ATF that said these aren’t SBRs for many years decides at the direction of a future anti gun president those that are now on their registry suddenly are “too dangerous” to own and you must turn them in within 120 days?

Not suggesting anything illegal or offering any legal advice whatsoever. Just be careful with what you do today for $200 and the resulting future consequences.
1934 and on is bs

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab

Good overview on this “rule” and what it means.

I didn’t realize FFLs only have 60 days to clear their inventory. Thus why I’m seeing sales already.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
It's all garbage. ATF has no authority to classify pistols as SBRs, nor do they have authority to give away stamps.

Mark my words, having been in the NFA biz from 99-17, the Courts are gonna curb-stomp the baby burners on this. Just like the frames/recievers "rule" (P80 is shipping 80% "frames" WITH JIGS already, the baby burners are acting like petulant children, huffing and puffing)

Bruen is the beginning of the end for all of this nonsense. The senile kiddiesniffer and his crooked AG can cry about it.

Last edited:

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
Let's recap the trouncing they have taken in the Courts.

1. An OK FED judge says that the prohibition on being a user of The Devils Lettuce and being in possession of a firearm is Unconstitutional.

2. 5th Circuit spanks Orange Man's bumpstock ban. Unconstitutional.

3. Title 18 G5(b) has been held to be Unconstitutional and the DOJ is crying to SCOTUS for expedited review. That means that a "hearing" pursuant to an OOP/PFA/IAH is NOT sufficient to deny one's 2nd Amendment Rights.

4. Frame and Reciever Rule squashed by 5th Circuit.

5. 2nd Circuit spanked by SCOTUS told to do their job. The 2nd and 9th are notorious Statist gun haters.

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
6. Commiefornia "approved handgun" roster rules (the Legistraitors in PRK demanded loaded chamber indicators, mag safeties and microstamping) ruled Unconstitutional. A Court attack on the existence of the Roster itself is upcoming. (Why do you think Glock still makes Gen3 guns? The Commiefornia roster)

7. Commiefornia assault weapon ban, magazine ban and ammo purchase background checks are on life support and St. Benitez is expected to crush them in the next 60 days. The wailing of the Fudds and Statists will be GLORIOUS!

NoStep

Established Member
Mar 5, 2023
Huntsville
You don’t have to register anything. A <16 inch barrel is only illegal if it’s on a lower with a stock (or brace). A tube is still legal. You can have as many uppers as you want. Do with this info what you will.

I of course would never condone anything illegal. I also would never condone sending photo evidence of yourself possessing a soon to be felony, in hopes that a three letter agency won’t deny your stamp and send some agents to come pay your dog a visit.

Last edited:

Goosebuster

Established Member
Apr 22, 2023
Piedmont
I would love to see widespread non conforming to this BS with arm braces. Unfortunately I lost all of my arm braced guns in a boating accident so I dont have to worry about a "free" stamp

Last edited: