Preferred Glock generation?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
My only experience is with my Gen 4. I know a lot of people don't like the finger grooves but I'm one of the few with hands that actually fit them so I don't mind them. One thing I don't really care for though is the different backstraps they come with - when I bought mine it had the larger almost beavertail one on which I immediately replaced with the most neutral one and forgot I had the others.

Nate762

Established Member
Dec 4, 2021
Muscle Shoals
I never minded the finger grooves either. I like the Gen 3 trigger as well. The Gen 4 seemed mushy to me

xCaptainC

Established Member
Dec 6, 2021
Birmingham, AL
I've only owned gen 5s, but I have held and felt previous gens. The finger grooves are a huge turn off for me when it comes to previous generations - they don't exactly fit well for all hand/finger sizes. No grooves = no problems, imo. Besides that, there are small engineered changes that make them legitimately improved compared to the others, but the previous gens still get the job done!

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
The rifling of the barrels of the Gen. 5s puts them on an accuracy level never dreamed of by stock Glock shooters of previous generations. No going back for me!!

Reactions: 9mm

Nate762

Established Member
Dec 4, 2021
Muscle Shoals
The rifling of the barrels of the Gen. 5s puts them on an accuracy level never dreamed of by stock Glock shooters of previous generations. No going back for me!!
I know. I have a new gen 5 marksmanship barrel I will be posting on here for sale/trade when I reach my 10 posts. I was gonna install in my Gen 3 but decided against it.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I have a gen 1 glock 17 that I wouldn't trade for anything :)

I am the original owner, had it for just over 30 years, never a single misfire, easily have 100,000 plus rounds down the pipe. I have replaced the springs with OEM glock parts a few times over the years just as maintenance

It hasn't lost any accuracy within my shooting capabilities and has the original barrel

Sometimes things should just be left alone ;)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I started my Glock journey with Gen3s. I only own one Glock now, and it’s a Gen4 G26 (a gun that, in my experience, shoots SO much better than a gun that size “should.”)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I have a gen 1 glock 17 that I wouldn't trade for anything :)

I am the original owner, had it for just over 30 years, never a single misfire, easily have 100,000 plus rounds down the pipe. I have replaced the springs with OEM glock parts a few times over the years just as maintenance

It hasn't lost any accuracy within my shooting capabilities and has the original barrel

Sometimes things should just be left alone ;)

There are a number of reasons that Glocks rock - owner testimonies like this are one of them, IMO. Love it!

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
I have had Gen 2-4, and personally, I have liked them all. Finger grooves or not does not really faze me in the slightest.

I do like the slides with the front serrations though. That would be a preference for me as much as anything, and that is purely cosmetic.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Having spent the majority of my shooting life hating on Glocks, I have no experience with gens 1-4. But there I was killing time at Mark's Outdoor, and for reasons I still don't understand I asked to see the gen 5 M19 in the case. It was sporting Trujicons (I dislike the stock sights) and it pointed so naturally for me that I overcame my reluctance and bought the damn thing. Definitely one of my better handgun purchases. So all that to say, go ahead and put me in the gen 5 camp.