Pro police or anti police.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
We are all friends here so I think we can have a good discussion.
Last week a moody police officer was shot and killed. He was a pillar in the community and part of many groups for public outreach. With that over the past few weeks I have seen more and more police officers under attack because one cop made a mistake, I am not the judge nor a jury in the matter. I think the truth will come out and that is that.

I wanted to know are you pro or anti police?

I will tell you I am pro-police, I believe they have a stressful job and think the worst hope for the best going into every situation. I think they are human and make mistakes but have to watch their own backs and do what they feel is right at the moment. They have a job to do to serve and protect. I have had the argument thatif the government is going to take away my guns it will be the officers to do it. You may be right but they are doing what command tells them to do. Most would probably quit before they did take them.

What are your thoughts?

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
It wouldn't hurt my feelings, if I never had to have any interaction with a law enforcement officer the rest of my life.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
i understand that Joel. I have only had one interaction and that was from me speeding. Other times I had to report stuff stolen or just meeting them.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Haha ya, although many police around my area are pro 2A. I wish the sheriff was pro-2A and would push for permit-less carry.

Danny Taddei

Established Member
Last week a moody police officer was shot and killed. He was a pillar in the community and part of many groups for public outreach. With that over the past few weeks I have seen more and more police officers under attack because one cop made a mistake, I am not the judge nor a jury in the matter. I think the truth will come out and that is that.

I will tell you I am pro-police, I believe they have a stressful job and think the worst hope for the best going into every situation. I think they are human and make mistakes but have to watch their own backs and do what they feel is right at the moment. They have a job to do to serve and protect. I have had the argument thatif the government is going to take away my guns it will be the officers to do it. You may be right but they are doing what command tells them to do. Most would probably quit before they did take them.

What are your thoughts?
Blue lives matter and I would never judge someone by th color or their uniform!

Rscinsc

Established Member
Jan 21, 2019
Troy, AL
I don’t think the question pro or anti police is that cut and dry.
I am pro police
I am anti police union, LEBORs, etc.

too many bad cops escape accountability, because of the systems THEY put in place favor them.

If the US military can have civilian oversight, than so can LE.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
It is sort of an odd question, but worded the way it is, I will say my thoughts are mixed.

I am pro - good police, the protect and serve type that uphold the constitutional, are of good moral character, and are qualified for the job

I am anti - bad police, the 'bow before me types' that feel they are above the law, are not qualified for the job, and use their power for their own benefit. You can google endless youtube videos on this type. They really are not qualified for the job and/or not properly trained.

How many of each exists? I have no idea.

I have had mixed experiences.... I have had friends that were officers, one was a good officer to the bone, he left the force because of his conscience. Another, well, can share by example what sort of officer he was, he drove shit faced drunk on more than one occasion bragging that he would never get in trouble no matter what happened...

I will also note the above examples are not from Alabama, this was before I moved here.

Alan Yates

aryfrosty
Dec 13, 2017
Huntsville

What are your thoughts?
I have invested 34 years in police service. I put in 25 years on patrol in Georgia and retired as a deputy chief in 1995. During that time I became a basic EMT, Cardiac Technician and Advanced EMT. I also put seven years into being a member of the Georgia DHR Region One EMS Advisory Board and seven years as a Member of and secretary to the Board of Directors of the Primary Health Care Center of Dade County, Inc. I then moved to the New Hampshire Department of Safety as a civilian supervisor 1 in the Emergency Services Division where I retired in 2009 when I had a stroke on the job.
I have seen the best and worst of police officers, and I understand that they’re no better, and no worse than members of any and all other vocations. I’ve encountered mechanics, doctors, pilots and store clerks I wouldn’t trust in an outhouse wearing a muzzle. I have been forced to terminate two police officers in my life. I also found myself firing four doctors for misfeasance.
Cops are like anyother human in life. They have families; wives, children, siblings, parents. They have bills to pay. They try to leave their Job at work like anyone. When I began my career in 1971 when I came home from Vietnam I was paid $2.73 an hour. I stayed single because of the money. I noted after I mourned my first field trainee that police work was the only job I knew of where the only way a man could afford to buy his wife a washer and dryer was to get killed on the job whereupon she’d get an insurance payoff.
As I progressed I encountered bad cops. But, with few exceptions they lived to the oath they swore. If the balloon went up I’d estimate that 75% of serving cops would live their oath. No matter what pressure they became under. Try to understand that if they stand on a bandwagon and proclaim their intent to be constitutional police officers they’d be fired within six months. Likewise if a casual acquaintance asked their intention they’d beat around the bush in answering. But if you get a cop alone and ensure that they don’t feel threatened by you they will tell you that they live by the oath. And when the situation becomes exigent their love of the nation, flag and constitutional oath is as strong as anyone else’s. In the trenches in our final days as a nation cops will be shoulder on with mechanics who’ll be next to school teachers.
Most cops don’t think they’re ‘better’ than others. There are times when they have to jack up the butts of neighbors who violate laws. In my life I’ve paid tickets. Two of them. Both speeding. Both for around 10 over the limit. Both written by my employees. I try hard to not embarrass myself or others by my conduct.
But cops aren’t super heroes. They’re no better or worse than anyone.
But I’ve helped bury more cops than doctors. On the job I got shot three times (9mm) on a single burglary call. In the following years I jumped into bad calls as quickly as if that never happened. One young cop who our American Legion Post is named in honor of was killed in a gun battle with two escapees. In the first shift he worked on his way home from the funerals for two troopers shot on a hostage call.
We aren’t angels. We aren’t demons. We’re your neighbors and relatives. We don’t need special care, just to be treated fairly.
I’m pro-cop. When I die I’ll be pro cop.

Attachments

• 6576BF0C-8BF6-4F5F-B327-723739AF2C75.jpeg
    6576BF0C-8BF6-4F5F-B327-723739AF2C75.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 7

Sooke 45

Established Member
Dec 28, 2017
BC
I have invested 34 years in police service. I put in 25 years on patrol in Georgia and retired as a deputy chief in 1995. During that time I became a basic EMT, Cardiac Technician and Advanced EMT. I also put seven years into being a member of the Georgia DHR Region One EMS Advisory Board and seven years as a Member of and secretary to the Board of Directors of the Primary Health Care Center of Dade County, Inc. I then moved to the New Hampshire Department of Safety as a civilian supervisor 1 in the Emergency Services Division where I retired in 2009 when I had a stroke on the job.
I have seen the best and worst of police officers, and I understand that they’re no better, and no worse than members of any and all other vocations. I’ve encountered mechanics, doctors, pilots and store clerks I wouldn’t trust in an outhouse wearing a muzzle. I have been forced to terminate two police officers in my life. I also found myself firing four doctors for misfeasance.
Cops are like anyother human in life. They have families; wives, children, siblings, parents. They have bills to pay. They try to leave their Job at work like anyone. When I began my career in 1971 when I came home from Vietnam I was paid $2.73 an hour. I stayed single because of the money. I noted after I mourned my first field trainee that police work was the only job I knew of where the only way a man could afford to buy his wife a washer and dryer was to get killed on the job whereupon she’d get an insurance payoff.
As I progressed I encountered bad cops. But, with few exceptions they lived to the oath they swore. If the balloon went up I’d estimate that 75% of serving cops would live their oath. No matter what pressure they became under. Try to understand that if they stand on a bandwagon and proclaim their intent to be constitutional police officers they’d be fired within six months. Likewise if a casual acquaintance asked their intention they’d beat around the bush in answering. But if you get a cop alone and ensure that they don’t feel threatened by you they will tell you that they live by the oath. And when the situation becomes exigent their love of the nation, flag and constitutional oath is as strong as anyone else’s. In the trenches in our final days as a nation cops will be shoulder on with mechanics who’ll be next to school teachers.
Most cops don’t think they’re ‘better’ than others. There are times when they have to jack up the butts of neighbors who violate laws. In my life I’ve paid tickets. Two of them. Both speeding. Both for around 10 over the limit. Both written by my employees. I try hard to not embarrass myself or others by my conduct.
But cops aren’t super heroes. They’re no better or worse than anyone.
But I’ve helped bury more cops than doctors. On the job I got shot three times (9mm) on a single burglary call. In the following years I jumped into bad calls as quickly as if that never happened. One young cop who our American Legion Post is named in honor of was killed in a gun battle with two escapees. In the first shift he worked on his way home from the funerals for two troopers shot on a hostage call.
We aren’t angels. We aren’t demons. We’re your neighbors and relatives. We don’t need special care, just to be treated fairly.
I’m pro-cop. When I die I’ll be pro cop.
Well said and very true Sir. I retired as a PO in 99,glad for that.
Retired, Canada

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
i understand that Joel. I have only had one interaction and that was from me speeding. Other times I had to report stuff stolen or just meeting them.
I just re-read your post Randall. You must be a Saint, or 15 years old! Everything fun I ever did when I was young, seemed to end up with some law enforcement being involved.

Johnnie

Established Member
Mar 28, 2020
Montgomery Alabama

What are your thoughts?
Look every career weather its police officers, nurses, Doctors, cashiers. What ever, there's good and well trained people who do there job to the best of there abilities. Yes there's some who have different views and don't follow the rules. That doesn't excuse the actions that they do. That needs to change. But also if you physically attack anyone. Police or anyone. You are the problem. People expect the police, firemen and EMS personnel to not take offense as they get there ass beat. Sorry we are people just like you and doing a job you aren't adults enough to do. Grow up take responsibility for your actions. Dont blame others

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
Pro Law enforcement, it's just like anything else there are bad apples. I will always give them support in a job that literally could destroy their lives and the lives of their family and worse yet may not go back home.

Thanks to all of You.