Range/Gun Club Recommendations

specknowsbest

Established Member
Sep 26, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Hey folks!

I've just recently moved to the Huntsville/Madison area from Texas, and am looking to get myself squared away with a good club or range to train at. I won't pretend to be a high-speed competition shooter, or operator, but I do enjoy practicing basic transition and movement drills from long gun to handgun, and vice versa.

Does anyone have any recommendations on ranges that will allow moving shooting drills with rifle and handgun? Private clubs that require a paid membership are fine, as well.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Depending if you want indoor or outdoor shooting range there are a few.

I do not have any experience with any of these but did find good review online about them.

Bullet and Barrel Indoor Shooting Range 4.7 stars on google.
Ammo Dump Indoor Firing Range 3.7 on google.
Ammo Dump Indoor Firing Range opening soon looks outdoors

Limestone Hunting Preserve 4.7 stars on google.

Good luck, no pricing info found so I would call around.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I am reletively new to the area too. I am in the Springville/Clay area and I am looking for an outdoor rifle range. I use 100 or 200 yd ranges to work up loads and sight scopes. A 500+ yd option would be great. I have never been to a public range but any place where I can spend half days shooting and measuring will work. I have heard good things about Heritage and it it close to me. But, membership is capped and it always seems to be full. Searching online has been frustrating because there is often conflicting information. Any suggestions?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
FOP range is a good place it’s in pleasant grove.
talledega cmp is a good one also.

I like to find a friend with some land I can shoot for free.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
While I do a lot of shooting at Hoover Tactical Firearms’ indoor range for handguns and ARs, it’s a tough place (to me, anyway) to work-out a shotgun as they only allow slugs. I need an outdoor place to function-check and pattern buckshot and birdshot.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Since you live close to Hoover have you checked out brocks gap?

Used to live super-close to them. They had (at least at one time) a fairly expensive process to join. By the same token, many of the matches there are open to non-members with no fee beyond the standard match or class fees. I’ve shot some IDPA and Single-Stack matches there as well as an IDPA intro class and a 3-gun intro class, too - very nice facility.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
While I do a lot of shooting at Hoover Tactical Firearms’ indoor range for handguns and ARs, it’s a tough place (to me, anyway) to work-out a shotgun as they only allow slugs. I need an outdoor place to function-check and pattern buckshot and birdshot.

I was there about a week ago with a shotgun and when I proactively told them I only had slugs I was told you could now shoot buckshot and birdshot. Too bad cause I only brought slugs due to their previous restriction against shot shells.

YMMV and I'd call first because they might change the rules again :)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I was there about a week ago with a shotgun and when I proactively told them I only had slugs I was told you could now shoot buckshot and birdshot. Too bad cause I only brought slugs due to their previous restriction against shot shells.

I will check - I do hope they’ve permanently updated their approach there!

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama

I asked and the update you reported still stands - buckshot and birdshot are okay there now!

wav3rhythm

Established Member
Sep 10, 2021
Huntsville
Hobbs Island is about the only game in town for that type of stuff. I was a member for a while, but it was pretty expensive for what it was.

Tanner

Jan 24, 2022
St Clair County
I am reletively new to the area too. I am in the Springville/Clay area and I am looking for an outdoor rifle range. I use 100 or 200 yd ranges to work up loads and sight scopes. A 500+ yd option would be great. I have never been to a public range but any place where I can spend half days shooting and measuring will work. I have heard good things about Heritage and it it close to me. But, membership is capped and it always seems to be full. Searching online has been frustrating because there is often conflicting information. Any suggestions?

BUBBQ

Jul 6, 2022
Strategic Edge, Chapel Hill, TN - absolutely second to none. 8 pistol pits (all run-n-gun). Long range out to 1,250 yards, mounted cameras provided for long range targets for instant feedback. Well worth the drive from North AL and mid TN area. YouTube has several videos.