Ruger LCP MAX .380

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
That's my EDC in a kydex Alabama pocket holster.

There was a break-in period for mine where it had a FTF once every other magazine, but after 100 rounds and a good cleaning and re-lube it's been great. I know someone who said that they skipped this break-in by polishing the feed ramp with a Dremel, but I don't have personal experience with that. Also, mine is from one of the first lots to hit the market so more recent iterations might have fixed this issue.

It does take a very firm grip which I've helped by adding Talon grips to mine. If someone wants to move from a full size gun to this one, this will be the biggest learning curve. You're going to have to hold it as tight as possible. There's no forgiveness for limpwristing with this gun. I do a lot of dryfire practice with this one using a laser insert in the chamber but there's no substitute for live rounds to get used to controlling the recoil.

I carry with Hornady Critical Defense and have had about 100 of those rounds through with no issues attributable to that round. I practice with anything I can find but PMC seems to hold the best groups and hits the most similar to the Hornady. Some aluminum cased ammo seems to have disagreements with the extractor. As I had a couple hundred rounds of that AL cased junk to burn through I sprayed them with silicone chain lube and they worked better. I won't be buying any more though, no matter how good a deal they are.

I've also added a laser. I'm a Crimson Trace fanboy but for some reason they don't make one compatible with this gun. Also, the one they make for the LCP II doesn't work on this one. Don't bother buying it to try unless you have an LCP II. I have that gun (love that one too, but carry the Max for the ammo capacity) and I have tried to move the laser over but it just doesn't fit. I had to go with the LaserMax GripSense which is nice, but not quite as good as the Crimson Trace. It is very bright, but also eats batteries, so I just bought a bunch to have on hand and check it often. Also, note that, like Crimson Trace, they do not claim that it fits the LCP MAX, but unlike Crimson Trace, it does.

To repeat myself from another post; No, it's not the best gun or caliber, but if I have pants on, I have it with me. If the time comes I need it, I will be happy to have this one that's with me over the really nice 357 that's in the safe at home.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I've got the regular LCP (not the Max). Mine is a 2nd generation (looks like the 1st gen but with a striker trigger - much better trigger pull). It is a decent little pistol. It disappears in the front pocket. I carry it when I'm not able to effectively conceal my every-day carry pistol. It is has been totally reliable. It is "reasonably" accurate - as good as you can expect from such a short firearm.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
For a female, how would the recoil be?
My wife carries the LCP II and it has a similar recoil if not a bit more snappy due to the lower mass. She handles it fine after some practice (she was used to revolvers previously). She says the Max is slightly easier but the II fits her carry style better.

I have to reiterate that a firm grip is essential for this gun to function reliably. That doesn't mean that a woman can't shoot it, though, because I've had 4 different ones shoot mine successfully and none of them are bodybuilders.

Bobby in LA

Established Member
Oct 9, 2023
Abbeville
Anyone own one? Experience and observations as far as reliability, shootability?
My EDC, quite happy. I qualify with with this gun 80-88% most of the time. 25 yards is where I am weakest, 15, 10, and 5 yards no problem even weak hand at 5 yards.
Love the gun even though I only bought it because my wife insisted. The 365 Sig that I carried in my pocket was much more noticeable.

Plainsman

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Calhoun County
I like mine, but don't carry it as much now that it's getting cooler and easier to conceal a larger caliber gun. It's probably a gen 2. I had to send mine back to Ruger (probably 10 years ago) due to the slide not functioning properly. They fixed it up and sent it back with no charge.

I have never had a failure to feed. It is a little snappy, but not bad for me. I added a slip on grip and magazine extender. This seems to help. It does disappear in a front pants pocket.