Selling in today's political climate

Txbobcat

Established Member
Apr 17, 2023
Madison, AL
Hey everyone. After reading a members post about being raided by ATF, are we really safe to sell handguns here, or elsewhere? I posted a pistol for sale, and now feel like it's not the best move. What safeguards do you take to be sure a buyer, or seller is legitimate? By Alabama law, we are pretty free to sell to anyone that is legally qualified to own a handgun. But I think the ATF is prematurely trying to enact their proposed rule 2023-0002.
Curious to see what others are thinking.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Bought many on here over last few years with no issues. I can’t believe there is any true legal risk in the occasional private transaction.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Here is a link to the federal register with info about the proposed rule. It is long but worth the time. As you said, it is not a final rule, so at this time it seems to be safe to buy/sell here. But that is up to each person. No idea why the atf raided the member‘s house, but they need to have a reason other than the proposed rule.

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2...m_medium=email&utm_source=federalregister.gov

scooter

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2022
Lamar County
Nice link, I read it, and it had another link to go to, see section (1-c)
https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

I went to this link as well, very informative, what I got out of it is if you take any sort of electronic payment, see page #-5 of this link, you are classified as needing a license to sell, also if you are making a profit off of a sale, under certain circumstances, you could be classified as needing a license,

This is why if I sell a firearm, it is at a loss, or it is traded for another.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Certainly if that AFT “rule” goes into effect then in most cases you couldn’t even sell a firearm to your brother. That’s a whole different situation than today.

I will add the point again that this is an AFT only created rule and it is not a law! It will immediately be challenged in the courts and it will lose just like the stock rules by the AFT

4strokes

Established Member
Mar 16, 2022
Albertville, Alabama
Excuse my rant but this kind of stuff goes against my grain.
Our Government wants to pretend we don't have these:>GUN's & INALIENABLE RIGHTS<:
All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights which include the right of pursuing life's basic necessities, of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and of seeking their safety, health and happiness in all lawful ways.
And there are those who literally wish to control the population, force unreasonable laws/rules upon us and call it gun reasonable control, kill off the elderly and ruin our country from within and here latey at at record pace.
Personally, I'm all about following mankinds written laws, living a clean life & treating others as I want to be treated.
Unlike some of those who have tax funded fully armed bodyguards protecting them while they try to force-feed their nonsense on the citizens they were elected to SERVE !
If these politicians were made to abide by & live the lifesyle they push on it's citizens they would actually FIX the problems instead of creating them. This is still the greatest country on earth but their never ending attempts of controlling the population is taking a toll on this now dumbed down society of our young and most of them seem oblivious to it.

Ever watch any youtube videos of these college age kids being interviewed and being asked questions that any 10 year old from the 1980's and back could answer? It's plumb pitiful how dumb the majority of these kids are ... and it's nationwide. All planned and orchestrated by those who want to detroy this country!

NotEnufGarage

Established Member
Oct 21, 2019
Huntsville, AL
This is why I don't sell firearms. I only buy them. They don't go down in value and you never know when you might need a few extra, like if you suddenly lose some in a tragic boating accident.

9mm

Established Member
Jul 23, 2016
Mobile
Cash is king, some people are being sold the idea that cash is trash. I just don’t understand how that is. Digital payment for a used gun, not a good idea for me.

condoor

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2024
Alabaster
Hey everyone. After reading a members post about being raided by ATF, are we really safe to sell handguns here, or elsewhere? I posted a pistol for sale, and now feel like it's not the best move. What safeguards do you take to be sure a buyer, or seller is legitimate? By Alabama law, we are pretty free to sell to anyone that is legally qualified to own a handgun. But I think the ATF is prematurely trying to enact their proposed rule 2023-0002.
Curious to see what others are thinking.
I generally sell something when I buy something so I've sold a few guns over the years in AL. I typically ask that a buyer have a AL DL, and AL CWP and be willing to show them at a FTF cash sale. That turns some buyers off, but oh well - it gives me 'some' piece of mind that at least at some point they were legally allowed to own a firearm in AL. If you are really concerned you could have them meet you at a gun store and do an FFL transfer. (That was actually required in CO for all private party firearm sales when I moved from there 10 years ago)