Shipping a rifle

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
So I sold a rifle on gunbroker and need to ship it. I was under the impression that UPS ships firearms. After calling my local ups stores, however, they claim that they aren't licensed to ship firearms. Who can I ship this with in limestone County?

P.S. federal law requires that i inform the shipper that the package contains a firearm, so just not telling them means uncle Sam might steal it in transit (and probably kidnap me at gunpoint). So that isn't an option.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Your attitude towards USPS has taken away your best option.
What attitude? I haven't even mentioned the United States postal service. Can I ship through them?

The federal law i mentioned pertains to all shippers, not just usps. No matter who I ship this with, I will have to inform them. So just dropping it off somewhere, anywhere, and not saying anything isn't an option.

Last edited:

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
The "UPS Store" is not UPS, the 'stores' are independently owned (and mostly by lame ass anti gun people it seems, have heard this complaint many times)

If you go to a corporate owned UPS counter, you will be able to ship your rifle.

I would advise not using USPS to ship a rifle.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
The "UPS Store" is not UPS, the 'stores' are independently owned (and mostly by lame ass anti gun people it seems, have heard this complaint many times)

If you go to a corporate owned UPS counter, you will be able to ship your rifle.

I would advise not using USPS to ship a rifle.

Ahhh, alright. I guess I didn't read down far enough to see that when I made sure they would ship them. I appreciate it.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
I highly suggest you ship from your local FFL dealer. Usually Fedex ships firearms to me.
Will that cost more than going direct through ups? I wont be paying it, but my buyer is already having to pay taxes twice because he lives in Arizona.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Will that cost more than going direct through ups? I wont be paying it, but my buyer is already having to pay taxes twice because he lives in Arizona.
I would check the pricing in comparison with shipping it via Fedex or UPS.

Larrys Pawn and Gun or Last Resort Guns should be able to help you.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
If you lived closer to my location, I would ship it for you - free. You just pay the shipping cost. What is your zip code? Sometimes searching the ATF site for FFL dealers near you, will show some smaller FFLs that will do this sort of thing for a very small fee. Many FFL dealers do this type shipping all the time, so it really isn't a big deal, like it is to someone doing it for the first time. Also, lots of mis-information passed around in the gun world regarding gun laws - best to verify all research.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
THOMPSON, GILFORD LBANDON GUN WORKS1205 MACEDONIA ROADARDMOREAL35739
URBANIC, MATTHEW SCOTT28279 OAK GROVE ROADARDMOREAL35739
THRASHER, SHANE PRESTONPRESTONS GUNSMITHING3435 READY SECTION RDARDMOREAL35739
WMGRAY LLCTENNESSEE VALLEY ESTATE ARMS12730 WALL TRIANA HWYARDMOREAL35739
WHITT, THOMAS PARKERTOM WHITT AUCTION SERVICE25581 7TH STARDMOREAL35739
GIBSON, MELANIE DENESEARDMORE PAWN & CAR AUDIO26926 MAIN STREETARDMOREAL35739
MAGNUS BULLET CO INC8337 9A OLD RR BED RDARDMOREAL357390000
MAGNUS BULLET CO INC8337 9A OLD RR BED RDARDMOREAL357390000

US1 Guns

Established Member
Oct 3, 2019
Scottsboro,Al.
Firt off there is NO federal law that says you have to inform anyone its a firearm UNLESS its a handgun.
UPS/FedEx have their own rules and they require you to tell them BUT that is NOT the federal law for a long gun.

Long guns can shipped in state adult to adult through USPS.Just box and include your drivers license and make sure you require a signature over 18.

Long gun:Out of state send USPS.No need to inform them its a gun.Can not be loaded and no ammo in same box:federal offense.The receiver MUST hold an FFL or C&R if applicable.

NOTE:Gun Broker rules require the buyer to provide you with an FFL dealer who will receive the long gun.Some dealers wont accept if from an individual but that is not the law so make sure he finds an FFL who will receive with approved ID like a drivers license.

I have shipped 500+ guns in last 3 years.I learned the hard way that UPS/FedEx sux and are intrusive.USPS is the best,cheapest,and safest.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Firt off there is NO federal law that says you have to inform anyone its a firearm UNLESS its a handgun.
UPS/FedEx have their own rules and they require you to tell them BUT that is NOT the federal law for a long gun.

Long guns can shipped in state adult to adult through USPS.Just box and include your drivers license and make sure you require a signature over 18.

Long gun:Out of state send USPS.No need to inform them its a gun.Can not be loaded and no ammo in same box:federal offense.The receiver MUST hold an FFL or C&R if applicable.

NOTE:Gun Broker rules require the buyer to provide you with an FFL dealer who will receive the long gun.Some dealers wont accept if from an individual but that is not the law so make sure he finds an FFL who will receive with approved ID like a drivers license.

I have shipped 500+ guns in last 3 years.I learned the hard way that UPS/FedEx sux and are intrusive.USPS is the best,cheapest,and safest.
This is what I was going by. I assumed the bottom paragraph applied to both handguns and long guns, but I see how it could be referring to only handguns. Still kind of vague though. Whats the best site to read the actual, current laws on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-153717_Firefox Focus.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-153717_Firefox Focus.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

TidealumO4

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Cottondale
You can ship to any ffl that will accept from individuals. You would just need to enclose a copy of your drivers license. This is usually the cheapest option for the buyer. You can also ship ffl to ffl. Most ffl’s charge a fee, as well as actual shipping. As mentioned before, you DO NOT have to disclose the contents if you ship yourself. FedEx will ship, USPS will ship, a true UPS hub will ship. Not a UPS satellite store. Best of luck. Feel free to IM me if you have any further questions.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I want to clarify my comment on USPS. It has nothing really to do with rifles, it has to do with them sucking for last 8 to 10 months on losing packages and then blaming covid and then not doing much to find your package.

Short story, I had a missing package, it was lost for 3 months, the postmaster told me (and gave me written in an email) that my package must have been stolen off my porch (I guess this makes it my fault? but I have cameras and there was no package and no porch pirate) It was written off as a total loss, then around the 3 month mark of it missing, it showed up.

I have at least a dozen other packages that are lost with no hope of recovery, been many months now.

UPS has not lost a single one, to be fair maybe only shipped half as many UPS (not always my choice who to ship with)

I don't ship a lot of guns, but I ship a lot of stuff. UPS is winning right now by a long shot for getting your package there and not losing it.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
I want to clarify my comment on USPS. It has nothing really to do with rifles, it has to do with them sucking for last 8 to 10 months on losing packages and then blaming covid and then not doing much to find your package.

Short story, I had a missing package, it was lost for 3 months, the postmaster told me (and gave me written in an email) that my package must have been stolen off my porch (I guess this makes it my fault? but I have cameras and there was no package and no porch pirate) It was written off as a total loss, then around the 3 month mark of it missing, it showed up.

I have at least a dozen other packages that are lost with no hope of recovery, been many months now.

UPS has not lost a single one, to be fair maybe only shipped half as many UPS (not always my choice who to ship with)

I don't ship a lot of guns, but I ship a lot of stuff. UPS is winning right now by a long shot for getting your package there and not losing it.
I've heard horror stories of local post offices being stacked to the ceiling in the back due to the shear amount of packages coming in and their inability to move them as fast as they come in. Supposedly because of covid. This is 3rd or 4th hand information, so idk how true it is, but I do know people seem to be having more issues since covid.

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
Let me know what you do, I have never sold a firearm out of state.

It will be a little while before I can give you the final results. The guy who's buying aparently doesn't do debit cards so I have to get a shipping estimate and wait on a mailed check and then wait for it to clear before shipping. Emailing a pre payed shipping label would be soooo much easier but the customers always right I guess. I know having someone's rifle after they've payed for it bothers me a lot.

P.S. thaks for the advice everyone.