Small game hunters

Bamaj

Established Member
Aug 21, 2022
Arab
Any other small game hunters here? I used to deer hunt a lot but got back into chasing squirrels and raccoon with my two dogs. My 11 year old daughter likes to go with me as well. She doesn't much care for being in the woods at night chasing raccoons though.

JT300

Smooth Brain in Alabama only local preferred
Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
I want to, I looked at a affordable .22 wmr bolt action i should be able to touch 150 yards (with the right glass) mainly for coyotes and pests in my garden at 75 yards. wouldn't mind rabbit hunting i straight up rarely see them, squirrels suck but the browning bps 10ga does a decent on them /s

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I enjoy bird hunting and occasionally rabbit. Haven’t gone in a while but hoping to this fall some. I enjoy just being out there more than anything.

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
I enjoy bird hunting and occasionally rabbit. Haven’t gone in a while but hoping to this fall some. I enjoy just being out there more than anything.
I know kinda off topic, know of a good place for rabbit hunting? I have alot of thick woods but zero rabbits or im messing up.
P.S is a 4-12x40mm scope overkill on a 22 mag or just right? sorry for silly questions.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I’m not sure about public locations for rabbit hunting. I normally just used a 410 or 20 gauge shotgun in past. I’ve never used a rifle.

I still see a lot of rabbits around on my property but I’m sure the populations vary depending on the coyote numbers.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I’ve only done coyotes once but it was interesting. The only negative to me was the way they called them in…..baby crying. That seemed to work a little too good.

A good AR with an ACOG works. I’ve also recently got a thermal scope that I bet would work well at night also.

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
I’ve only done coyotes once but it was interesting. The only negative to me was the way they called them in…..baby crying. That seemed to work a little too good.

A good AR with an ACOG works. I’ve also recently got a thermal scope that I bet would work well at night also.
We see them a lot just because all the livestock i guess, I have an lpvo on the way but i need to work on getting them at night @Drcrimson i went ahead and ordered that bufferless ar I may use that other than the 22 mag, I do want a thermal scope i have no knowledge of them I know pricey.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
We see them a lot just because all the livestock i guess, I have an lpvo on the way but i need to work on getting them at night @Drcrimson i went ahead and ordered that bufferless ar I may use that other than the 22 mag, I do want a thermal scope i have no knowledge of them I know pricey.
Here's an infographic I found a while back that does a good job of explaining how thermals work, what to look for, what prices to expect, etc. The cheapest thermal scope you're going to find is probably an ATN Thor at around 800-1000 bucks. One thing to note if you do get one is that to sight one in you need a target that radiates heat for the thermal to pick up; the cheapest way to do that is to buy some Hot Hands packs and tape one to a target. You also have to move the elevation and windage toward your point of impact instead of away from it like you do with a regular scope. For example, you're sighting in a regular scope and you're hitting high and to the right so you turn your scope knobs low and to the left; on a thermal scope you'd move them high and to the right. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 1645422416692.png
    1645422416692.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
@Dfalt THANKS this will help alot getting started I honestly thought 1500 would be bottom, Thanks OG lol, new project to start!

Bamaj

Established Member
Aug 21, 2022
Arab
I want to, I looked at a affordable .22 wmr bolt action i should be able to touch 150 yards (with the right glass) mainly for coyotes and pests in my garden at 75 yards. wouldn't mind rabbit hunting i straight up rarely see them, squirrels suck but the browning bps 10ga does a decent on them /s
I've killed a couple of coyotes and 3 fox so far this year with my 10/22. Not to mention countless armadillo's. These were all killed within 100 yards. I have also gotten to where I like shooting rimfire way more than anything else. Mostly because it is cheaper!

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
I've killed a couple of coyotes and 3 fox so far this year with my 10/22. Not to mention countless armadillo's. These were all killed within 100 yards. I have also gotten to where I like shooting rimfire way more than anything else. Mostly because it is cheaper!
I do love rimfire that's why my first idea was a bolt 22 mag id like to touch 150 yards if possible, Ill say your 10/22 skills are really good, ever get a clean kill at 100?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Here's an infographic I found a while back that does a good job of explaining how thermals work, what to look for, what prices to expect, etc. The cheapest thermal scope you're going to find is probably an ATN Thor at around 800-1000 bucks. One thing to note if you do get one is that to sight one in you need a target that radiates heat for the thermal to pick up; the cheapest way to do that is to buy some Hot Hands packs and tape one to a target. You also have to move the elevation and windage toward your point of impact instead of away from it like you do with a regular scope. For example, you're sighting in a regular scope and you're hitting high and to the right so you turn your scope knobs low and to the left; on a thermal scope you'd move them high and to the right. Hope that helps!
That’s good info. I bought an AGM Rattler TS35-384 back in the spring. I have been amazed at how clear it is.

As was stated earlier, certainly wasn’t cheap though but goodness what an advantage at night.

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
looks cool to, all you need is a thermal scope for night? for some reason i thought you needed another device.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
looks cool to, all you need is a thermal scope for night? for some reason i thought you needed another device.
All I need is the thermal. I also bought a PVS-14 but it’s more of a general night vision optic.

Within a few hundred yards I can see with high clarity through the thermal and it mounts right on my rifle.

Bamaj

Established Member
Aug 21, 2022
Arab
I do love rimfire that's why my first idea was a bolt 22 mag id like to touch 150 yards if possible, Ill say your 10/22 skills are really good, ever get a clean kill at 100?
I have never tried taking a shot at 100. I do try and get headshots on fox and coyote if possible. I have thought about getting a 22 wmr for some WMA hoghunting when they only allow you to use what is in season for hogs.

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
I honestly didn't think .22lr would do good at coyotes but shot placement is everything. @Bamaj what would be the farthest you'd be comfortable taking a shot at a coyote also what ammo do you use? CCI Velocitor or Stingers is what i use but honestly i haven't shot anything bigger than a gray squirrel with a .22LR.