The “Little” Gun That Could: Glock 26

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’m on-record as preferring larger handguns whenever possible / applicable. I tend towards the likes of full-size 1911s and S&W N-frame revolvers more often than not.

That said, I harbor zero distaste or disdain for more modern handgun offerings. Progress is progress, and darn if there aren’t some fantastic developments that have taken place in recent years. While other makes and models garner due attention, the Glock line more or less started the ball rolling with its arguably revolutionary approach to the market back in the ‘80s.

I had a season where assorted Glocks in 9mm or .40 were my primary choices. I rotated through a handful of 17s, 19s, a 22, and a 23 at various times. I find Glocks to be functional and efficient guns that, for me, tend to shoot very well.

Over time, I trended back toward the aforementioned metal-framed handguns, yet one Glock remains for me: a Glock 26 Gen4.

I know that Gaston has since released smaller / slimmer guns than the 26, but that short, chunky grip on the original “Baby Glock” just works for me. I don’t even use magazine extensions - I just tuck the strong-hand pinky under the standard 10-round magazine base (though I will often carry a Glock 19 magazine in reserve).

For me, the G26 shoots “better than it should” for a gun its size. Back when I had a G17 at the same time as a G26, my groups at like distances were allllmost identical between the smaller and larger guns.

While I have an assortment of holsters for the 26, the pictures items get used the most often: a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster and a Magholder horizontal magazine carrier.

1651248039474.jpeg
1651248059211.jpeg
1651248080675.jpeg
1651248103109.jpeg
1651248140343.jpeg

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
I’ve always had an appreciation for the Fat Baby, as I’ve taken to calling the 26. Something about it has an inherent X factor even though the modern day offerings beat it in every way on paper.

G-rat

Mar 2, 2022
P-cola Fl...
one of the only g-locks i regret letting go was a gen 3 G26. i too shot it every bit as good as the 17 or 19 i have still. i trended away from sub-compacts and sold it. i now use a G43x for smaller carry but still pick up a 26 whenever i see one and contemplate buying another... soon..

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
As a LEO FI since 1998, I noticed years ago that officers usually posted equal or better groups and scores with the G26 vs G17 or G19. The groups were nearly always tighter and centered better with a "Baby Glock".
Theory #1. The hump on the back of the bigger Glocks are not ergonomically sound in design and causes the pistol to point high and causes the pistol to point low left for right handers when gripped too hard. This is readily apparent with shooters like me that have average to smaller than average hands. Some like me consider it a design flaw. The G26's hump is miniscule compared to it's larger brothers and therefore it has fewer detrimental effects on the shooting grip and performance is better. If you doubt it, fire a G17 or G19 with a grip reduction and see what I mean.
Theory #2: since you are shooting a sub-compact, you mentally focus harder on the basics.